Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, February 19, 2007

The movie story

Hey, guys! I went out of town for the weekend and I thought I was going to be able to post before I left, but I didn't have time, so ... here I am now! I hope you all had a great weekend.

So the movie thing. I have this friend I'll call Semmy, who looooves to get your Swishy riled sometimes. We'll bicker about the funniest things, and I'll finally bring out my heavy ammunition: "Whatever. I'm asking the blog people what THEY think. THEY'LL back me up!" But I never have ... until now.

OK, I'm totally laughing out loud right now. I wish you could hear me. Anyway, so Semmy has been known to sneak out of work to go see a movie, which I have never done. First of all, I can't. With the boss I have, I really can't. I once returned something at the mall during lunch and THEN got something to eat and felt like I had done something totally scandalous. Not to mention, I spend every minute of my life feeling bad about something--a phone call I'm putting off, the 83 chocolate chip cookies I've eaten in the past week, the pile of 2006 bills that have been stacked in my office waiting to be filed for two months. And my whole life, I've been scared of getting in trouble. That's probably the biggest thing. It's total oldest kid syndrome.

So I'm giving Semmy crap, not because I care THAT much, really, just because he mentioned it in passing (he hadn't even GONE to a movie, poor guy) and I was in a bratty mood, so off I went. And he comes out with that line: "I've only left work in the middle of the day to go watch a movie 10 times in the past 6 1/2 years. I think most people would say that's not too bad."

Me: "What?!? I am SO putting that on my blog!"
Sem: "Whatever, you'll totally word it so people agree with you."
Me: "I will not."
Sem: "You will too."
Me: "Fine, then you write it. I'll post it exactly the way you write it."

He didn't write anything--well, he did, actually, and it was pretty funny, but it was non-postable, at least without some context--so I threw the quote up there with an "Overheard:" before it.

Sem: "You can't put 'overheard'! Then it's OBVIOUS it's someone else."
Me: "No, it's not."
Sem: "Yes, it is. It's not fair."
Me: "Fine. FINE."

So I took off the "overheard." Because I might be a little snot, but I can be fair, at least! And then nearly all of you sided with Semmy!!! That's why I can't stop laughing, because it's so typical. SO typical. Semmy is fantastic. He is. Everyone likes him, he's smart, he's funny ... he's one of those people you wish everyone had a chance to know. So OF COURSE you would all take his side! Because that's just him! Ohhhh, I am so laughing.

Anyway, Semmy is hilarious times 1,000. He's so funny that a week or so ago, he was instant messaging me and made me laugh so hard I spit water everywhere, absolutely everywhere, which not only made a huge mess but short-circuited my keyboard. He made me laugh so hard I BROKE MY FREAKING KEYBOARD. So now that you know who he is, I can tell you some of the funny stuff he says without feeling like I need some kind of preamble that would totally ruin the joke.

In other news, my BBFF Manic Mom (who also is very funny and, by the way, knows me too well--she totally guessed in the comments that the movie-goer wasn't me!) is having an awesome contest on her blog right now. Go check it out!

18 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Beth said...

oh Swishy, I love you. I bet you are so much fun to be around cuz you laugh so easily....

You're the best!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Beth, you are soooooo nice!!! You rock! Thank you!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I never "snuck out", I just told my boss I had to go home..And I hada job where we got tons of days off so we could use a few hours of vacation if we wished, I always signed a leave slip if I was gone too long or never came back.

So if Semmy is male and you spent the weekend away does that mean Swishy has a secret love life she's not blogging about? Like a Semi-boyfriend? You don't have to say I'll just keep reading and believe that you do and that you are in a lovely whirlwind dating situation. Oh and you look so much like the blonde on Shark, I secretely thinks that's you too..
Just sayin...

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

I rock too, don't I? : (

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

Just because I didn't disagree with taking a little personal time to see a movie or whatever.....I would like the record to reflect that I didn't mention that it felt ENTIRELY great. (there must be some Catholic or Jewish in me somewhere) :)

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger wheresjack19 said...

I didn't think you would do something like that, but at the same time I knew how hard you work and thought it was justified by you. Besides, if you ever snuck out and went to a movie, you would totally go back to work and do double time!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Yay Semmy! And I'm not surprised Semmy likes hanging with you, cause you're good people :)

See you at the movies...

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys are completely cracking me up. For real ... I'm totally laughing. CruiserMel with her Catholic/Jewish/whatever guilt ... LOL. I say if you can go to a movie, good for you and eat some popcorn and M&Ms for me. Just not if your name is Semmy! Ha ha. :)

(But you're right, wheresjack, I would TOTALLY go back and work late! You would know!)

Of COURSE you rock, Manic! LOL.

TTQ ... ohhhh, TTQ. You're going to have me laughing all night. A SEMI-boyfriend!! HA HA HA. I've actually been told I look like that girl by other people (there's kind of a funny story about that, actually), but I don't know ...

And awww ... thanks, Trish :)

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger flea said...

wow, i've never even contemplated this before...a whole new world has just opened up before my eyes!!

ok, i still couldn't do it, the guilt, the GUILT!!!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger TTQ said...

Haha I'm going to go browse Manic's archives for the picture she posted a while ago and then find a pic of the girl on Shark, I'll let the readers vote...

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

I hate that picture! LOL. If you really want one, I'll give you a different one.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger kim said...

As an employer, trust me, a good employee can be hard to find. We've had our fair share of people who call in sick regularly or just don't show up at all and then come in the next day with "the dog ate my car and all the phones in a ten mile radius" story. But when I think of our best employees -- I like to think part of what makes them so good is not letting themselves get burnt out to the point of being non-productive.

I think a well placed movie day is for sure beneficial.

Your Semmy sounds like my Brian -- I think everyone should have a Brain. I tell him he's the most quotable person I know -- we laugh to tears every time we are together and it's not just us -- he does that to everyone.

You should go to a movie with Semmy!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger kim said...

...not that you are a bad employee if you don't skip out.

I'm just trying to help you with your guilt :o).

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Sara Hantz said...

OMG that is so funny. I'm the eldest - seriously suffer from eldest child syndrome. When you posted the poll I thought... no way... I'd never do that... ever. But everyone was agreeing so I didn't post, thinking you'd all think me weird HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Oh yeah.. with your blessing I'm going to do it..send it to me!! Do I have an e-mail link active on my profile? If not I'm on AOL IM ..my e-mail addresses actually use my real names..the full names so I can't post it

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger TTQ said...

It's up! Go looky

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Ahhhhhhhhh ... I'm dying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home