Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sucky Saturday

An ice storm hit Swishyville last night. This was the view out my car window early this afternoon:



This is the window--UNROLLED--after 10 minutes of thawing out:



And in the parking lot, what used to be a very nice tree:



I have no power, which means I have no heat. That's a problem in itself ... add the fact that the most INCOMPETENT utility company in the COUNTRY services my city, and, well, it's gonna be a long night. Seriously. This company is like third-world-country bad. I can basically expect to be without power for the next three days.

Thankfully, my favoritest coffee shop on the planet has power, so here I am, sucking up their electricity until they kick me out. I was lulled into complacency by the last two big power outages, which didn't affect me one tiny bit, so I hadn't so much as charged my cell phone. The power went out a bunch last night, but it kept coming back on, so once morning hit I figured I was good. I was all cuddled up, ready to blow off everything and spend the day wrapped up in front of the TV, when POOF. Out. For good. Right in the middle of the I Love New York rerun, no less! And then my cell phone died 10 minutes later.

Oh, yeah--my flashlight's not working, either.

Since I'm stubborn and I have to work tomorrow, I'll probably go back home for the night even though it'll be freezing. I have three new books, I have an iPod with the first season of Grey's Anatomy on it (and Tetris, once I get finished downloading it), and I have a fireplace currently devoid of dead birds. And chocolate. So I should be fine.

But suuuuuuuuuck suckity suck, this sucks.

11 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God! You poor thing...

I hate when the electricitiy goes out!

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Swishy - that bites! Stay warm!
It's a good thing Grey's didn't knock your socks off, cause you need em :)

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

god, you at least need stinkin heat! Build that fire, cook something over that fire and call off work!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

OMG, looks like you guys got hit pretty hard with the ice. We're still awaiting the slam here in Dallas, but it's-a-comin'. Thanks for reminding me to charge the phone and iPod. What would I do without my pals? Stay warm - and drive carefully. Can you make cocoa in a fireplace?

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

It's Sunday night ... still no heat/electricity. Work has power, though--lucky me!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

But suuuuuuuuuck suckity suck, this sucks.


That line cracked me up. Do you know you could have easily gotten two weeks of our writing goals written with all that electricity out.

The ice looks pretty. Hope you are warm now!
xo

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is...I LOVE California. :)

Steve~

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got to be somewhere in the MIdwest, and if it's not St.Louis, I'll be surprised. And if your electric company is not Ameren UE, I'll be even more surprised, b/c by far they suck more than a shop vac on steroids.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

I've been thinking about you in that ice storm...glad to hear you're okay, and I hope you have power SOON!!!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Hmm hurricanes or ice storms...tough call. no power suuuuuck suckity, suck, no power sucks wherever you are....

It's been so warm here the kids across the cul-de-sac were running around in swim suits two days ago. I'm in shorts again today. This is crazy even for Central Florida.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

My sister lives in California, and ALWAYS complains about how "it's 73 degrees EVERY SINGLE DAY!" I called her Saturday and told she she was never allowed to bitch about living in California again :)

Thank you for commiserating with me, everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home