Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year

I loved going back to school when I was a kid. Not because I was going back to school, but because it was a fresh start. No catching up, no cramming ... total clean slate. In college, I would sit on the plane on the way back to school and make lists of what I wanted to do that semester and how I was going to do it. That was one of things I missed the most when I graduated from college--no more built-in clean slates. Nothing forcing you to change or grow.

So, yes, I make New Year's resolutions, and that's why. I know it's cliche. I know! But I promise I nearly always keep them. Four years ago, I said I was going to join a gym and start doing cardio most days of the week, and I did. I still do. The key is picking stuff I know I can do, stuff I really WANT to do, and figuring out exactly how and when I can get it done.

If I gave you my full list, you'd laugh. It looks SO ANAL! Like, I'll do this on this day, that at that time, this that many times a week. Is it boring to post them? I can't decide. They're mostly, like, traditional things, that's why. Well, you can tell me if you want to see them. One of them, though, is to do something nice for myself at least once a week. That's the REAL key to keeping New Year's resolutions ... make yourself get pedicures and take bubble baths! Ha ha.

Anyway, New Year's Eve was fun. New Year's Day was even more fun, at least for me. I saw The Holiday, which I LOVED! I totally related to Kate Winslet's character. And I pulled a Manic with my friend Allee and saw Dreamgirls, too ... was Jennifer Hudson that good on American Idol? I do NOT remember her being that good on American Idol. She was crazy good. Everyone in the theater applauded after her big song. Random thing of the day: I was looking at the credits at the end, and this girl from my high school was in it! She was one of the go-go dancers. I sat next to her in Brit Lit, and she always talked about how she was going to go to L.A. and dance and we were like, whaaaaatever. But she did! So good for her.

Finally, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and now seems like a good time to say it: Thank you for stopping by my blog, whether it's once a day or once a month. I love that you're there to laugh with me on the funny days, and I love even more that you're there with kind words and cyberhugs (and no baseball bats!) on the harder days. I hope the new year brings each one of you every happiness that life has to offer. And if you already have every happiness that life has to offer ... well, then, you suck.

Just kidding :) Happy New Year, everyone!

16 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Hope you got to kiss a handsome boy or two!!!!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Wishing you a happy New Year, and hopfully, you'll remember what you did, unlike Manic mom! LOL

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

Happy New Year!!

I loved those built in clean slates as well!

I'm with you I don't remember Jennifer Hudson being that great either on AI - I mean, seriously did she even get a record deal after the show? Where has she been? And then she busts out with the best performance in DreamGirls?!?!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Bina said...

Ha! You are so funny. I've never heard of dreamgirls or Jennifer Hudson, so I'll have to look that up.

I think it's great you make lists and set goals. I wish I had the will power and motivation again like I used to. I swear, since I left the country, I have become lazy! I guess I always had so much to do, and had to drive so far to get to anywhere, and now, there is nothing to do! I need a life.

Glad you had a great day yesterday! I SO want to see Holiday. You are so lucky!

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer Hudson Was good on AI, but I have to see that movie! that's all I hear people talking about. I can't stand beyonce....with her hot little self. yuk.

We all love you too swishy! I visit you all the time!

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have failed so spectaularly at resolutions over the years, it's almost comical. I have deep respect for folks like you who are brave enough to make them, whether you share them or not. I'm with you on the pedicures and bubble bath, but I won't call it a resolution. I'll call it, "Because Swishy says I should" and leave it at that, thereby tripling the chance of it actually happening :)

And after my pedi/bubble bath, I want to see Dreamgirls!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Hey Swishy!
Can I just say how much I love (love, love, love) your blog? Ok, well if you say no, it's too late.
I don't really make New Years resolutions because I know I won't keep them.
However, last year I decided (on about the 5th) to make some life choices. I aimed for losing 10% of my weight instead of saying that I would lose 60, 70, 80 pounds. And that is what I did all year. It worked. for the first time ever.
Anywho, this is about you! :)
I am so glad that you continue to blog with such honesty. I started a response to your emotional arthritis post the other day and my computer crashed. but I wanted to say how much I understand what you are saying there. You are a good person Swish, don't let 'em drag you down!!!!
Hugs to you!
Frannie

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. I loved Holiday too!

Good luck with the resolutions.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I resolve to read your blog every chance I get! Please keep me entertained - as you so competently do! Happy New Year!

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Eileen said...

I have the same be good to myself resolution. I suspect I will do okay in that area. It is the others that might be more difficult.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Swishy......

Good on you for making resolutions and sticking to them....I too admire that in people....just have never had any success at it myself!!

Wishing you and yours all the very best for the coming New Year!!!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Hahah, you changed this post from the arthritis one--well, at least you got that off your chest! Anyway, CRACKED UP when I read that you "pulled a Manic!" Too funny!

I Loooooved Holiday too! It was soooo good, and I even got a tingly feeling toward Jack Black when he was singing in Blockbuster!

Anyway, IM me baby--THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

At least you have the courage to make resolutions! Seriously, good luck. Be our good example. Some of us, meaning me, could use one.

Have a great year.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Happy New Year, Swish!! It was fantabulous meeting you and MM, and I can't wait until we can get together again.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

You guys are so nice! You're seriously the best. I just adore every single one of you.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happiest of New Years to you! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home