Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A grab bag of random

* So there's this one girl who comes to the gym all the time and NEVER works out. Do you want to know what she does instead? I'll tell you what she does. She spots her boyfriend while he lifts and then fixes her hair in the mirror between his sets. She does this for an HOUR. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I've seen them before and I've thought, OK, benefit of the doubt, maybe she works out first and then helps him. But I got there the exact same time as them tonight and ALL she did was spot her boyfriend and fix her hair. Over and over and over again.

* I was up at 4:30 a.m. the other night and there was NOTHING on. No-thing. Nada. Literally, infomercials on every channel, except TBS, which was showing Runaway Bride for the 100th time (trust me, I watched 99 of them) and USA, which had on a Law & Order: SVU marathon. OK, I never watch Law & Order--any of the versions. But I like Mariska Hargitay because she's pretty (ha ha ... and I'm superficial) and there was nothing else on and there was NO sleeping happening, so I watched it.

OK. Seriously. Worst show to watch in the middle of the night EVER! It's good, but it's messed up. Did that stop me from watching it at 3:30 a.m. the next night? Nooooo, of course not. I'll give you three guesses what's on now ...

* On a related note, why is there nothing on at 3 or 4 in the morning? If someone's up then, isn't that when they need TV the most?

* On another related note, I always want to say "Law & Order: SUV" instead of "SVU."

* On a semi-related note, only because it's about TV, I flipped over to the repeat of Dirt on FX and what a freaking train wreck. HOLY CRAP. Might want to go back to collecting that Friends syndication money, Courteney.

* I love that British people say "lovely." I wish Americans said lovely. If someone in this country says lovely, they're either 80 years old or being sarcastic. But it's such a nice word! It's my favorite part of that Coldplay song The Scientist: "You don't know how lovely you are ..." They said it twice in The Holiday, which reminded me of it. I was like, ohhhh! I wanna be lovely!

* I got a new bill holder thing today and it ROCKS. It's brown and, like, corduroy-ish, and it makes me feel TOTALLY organized, which was the whole point. (And getting it was one of the "action" items on my resolutions list ... so far, so good!)

* Tonight I was reading an old Entertainment Weekly that I hadn't gotten to before the holidays. The Will Smith one. And he said something that I loved. He said: "I am dedicated to doing good. When I wake up every day, I want the world to be better because I woke up today."

I know it's not particularly original. I know that celebrities are, by definition, insincere. I know they say things that will make them sound nice in interviews. I know, I know, I know. But putting all that aside for a second, isn't that a nice idea? I think it's a nice idea.

18 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Sarakastic said...

I think the idea is lovely, in the most sincere way possible even though my name is Sarakastic. I've often wondered about late night tv, even the foodnetwork & gameshow network go off, & that has channels that should only be watched at 4am written all over it

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I'm up in the middle of the night and not on my computer, I'm watching a DVD. There is nothing worth watching on TV in the wee hours of the morning - well, maybe a movie or two, but other wise, nothing.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Bina said...

Related note (LOL) I ALWAYS watch Law & Order: SVU, and yes, I have a hard time with the SUV thing.

When I had my last baby, I watched TV all hours of the night. I had DirecTV, but mostly watched the Gameshow channel. I was addicted!

You Rock, and I would really like to see your resolutions. I've never made any, and I love to hear other peoples and how they stick with them.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Law & Order: SVU... USA Network plays reruns of it all the time. That's how I got addicted.

I used to wake up in the middle of the night bunches with Acid Reflux, and I would always watch cold case files on Court Tv. LOL

and um, yeah, that girl at the gym needs to get a life. I think all gyms have at least one girl like that.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are lovely, Swishy. Law & Order SVU is not.

Grab a collection of some show you love on DVD (I got the first three seasons of Gilmore Girls for Christmas) and keep them for your late night viewing. But make sure it's something that won't leave you traumatized to ever sleep again!

And the girl at the gym - that's just pitiful. I'm all for quality time, but honestly, she'll probably want those hours back someday.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Ummm, I say lovely all the time.
I'm not 80 (although I feel like it today) and I am never (rarely) be sarcastic. Does that make me strange?
I want to see a pick of the bill organizer thingy!!!
I may be naive, but I think Will Smith is sincere, and if he isn't I don't want to know about it!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Drew Blackstone said...

What a lovley post. :)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I'm up all odd times of the night. Thank god for DVR's and Tivos, I can watch all my favs.. The Dish network rules, you can order movies too.

Ok.. gotta go spot my husband and fix my hair. Bye!

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Will smith...not only is he cute, but you never read anything bad about him...only good things and you don't hear about him running around on Jada or anything...she'd probably kick his ass if he did, but still!

And why are you up at 3-4am anyway? do you have insomnia or somethin? Law & Order is the best!!!! i love SVU the best. I watch it all the time.

well, it is 10:17pm and I am gonna go to bed and try to sleep!!

Nite!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Karitown said...

I can't ever make it past 11. I wake up in the night often and can't go back to sleep, but never get up to do anything about it. Maybe I should. I'd probably get a lot more done.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That post was just lovely, Swishy. So many good points, so much amusement. Bravo!

(I'm not being sarcastic..just in case you weren't sure).

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

Dirt was a disappointment!

Late night/early morning TV sucks - I usually get suckered into watching the Home Shopping Network and who buys all that worthless crap they sell at 3AM?

That was a good Will Smith quote.

I'm so saying lovely from here on out, it just sounds so...lovely.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Oh hell. I found a blog that has a picture of feet, in sand. And it's NOT yours. Or, I don't think it is, unless you have another blog that you haven't told anyone about? Hmm. Secret life.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Lovely is a beautiful word that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I met Will back in the Fresh Prince days and his attitude seemed to be just as positive. He really draws people to him with his positive attitude. It's nice to see his charm is in tact, even as an A-lister.

And fantastic point, Swishy - if someone is up at 3am that person is clearly in need of some quality TV. Once we have world peace and the environment is thriving, let's get on this issue of crappy late night TV! :-)
Scribe

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

And I LOVE Runaway Bride. I can't help myself. There is something about that movie that sucks me in everytime it's on TV.
Scribe

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Need I tell you how lovely you are?

I think that blind R&B singer wrote a song about you... "Isn't She Lovely."...

And yes, I know it's Stevie Wonder. I was being humorous.

You are lovely. Stay that way.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Ha ha ... we're totally going to start a LOVELY movement!

OK, other responses: I guess I'm an insomniac. Usually, once I fall asleep, I'm OK--it's just getting there that's the problem. But lately I've been waking up a lot, so I guess that's insomnia, huh?

Bina, that other blog is NOT mine! Don't tell me someone's stealing my feet!

I'll talk about resolutions this weekend ... I'm a little down on them right now after my mini-cooking disaster the other night!

And Anon, bless your heart. That's so sweet!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger her master said...

Okay, this is way late, but I just read this post .. just a couple of comments: 1) From my point of view, it's nice that the girlfriend actually spends time at the gym with her guy, and as long as she's capable, spotting for him is a good thing. 2) I liked Dirt :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home