Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Back from the edge

Ladies and gentlemen, we have power. Halle-FREAKING-lujah! Thank you all for your nice thoughts. It was seriously one of the suckiest things ever. I feel like it will take years to undo the psychological damage, but at least I have a warm place to start the process. Yay!

All right, so the Golden Globes. It seems a little anticlimactic to post about them NOW, but I'll give you the quick bullet points:

* OK, you're going to have to take my word for this, but I SWEAR it's true. Jessica Biel came out to present, and I turned to my friend and said, "Oh, my gosh, Justin Timberlake is TOTALLY eyescrewing her right now." It was almost embarrassing. And then what do I read today? That Cameron Diaz flipped out when she saw Justin hitting on Jessica at an afterparty. I was like, I KNEW IT! It was so freaking obvious.

* Reese Witherspoon looked AWESOME! She was my favorite. Good for her. Cameron was my worst dressed. Awful makeup, awful dress, and I think I like her better blonde.

* I thought Jennifer Hudson's speech was very nice, but it wouldn't have killed her to thank American Idol. It's not like we all forgot she was on the show.

* I liked seeing what Sacha Baron Cohen is like in real life. I find him absolutely fascinating ... such a contradiction.

* Brad and Angelina are pretty. They were analyzing her to death on that CNN showbiz show afterward. She WAS withdrawn, but I really do think she was trying to just let Brad have the spotlight. Plus, he seems to be much more comfortable at those things than she does anyway.

* Totally sick of Helen Mirren.

* Jack Nicholson CRACKS me UP. He's always right up front, holding court, looking like he's having the time of his life. I was laughing so hard, because he kept grabbing random people and pulling them over to sit next to him at his table. First Reese Witherspoon, then P. Diddy ... so funny.

* My winner wish list: Leo DiCaprio (for The Departed; I didn't see Blood Diamond), either McDreamy or Jack Bauer, Ellen Pompeo, Steve Carell (although kinda fun to see Alec Baldwin win) and The Office (ditto on Ugly Betty). Happiest to see: Grey's Anatomy win. Shocked to see: Babel win. What I can't wait to see on tape: Ryan Seacrest and John Stamos' little red carpet snark-fest (Stamos goes to Seacrest: "You work very hard for $20 million a year." Awww, snap!)

And, of course, the biggest Golden Globes story ...

Is Isaiah Washington freaking INSANE? What a complete embarrassment. (I'm talking about Grey's Anatomy and its resident angry homophobe--you can catch up here.) I thought he was an ass when the story first came out last fall, and I think he's an even bigger one now. He SO needs to be written off the show, if he hasn't been already. Clearly a great job on the No. 1 show on TV isn't good enough for him--he has to freaking choke McDreamy and make poor George feel bad and generally steal the spotlight with his tacky, classless behavior every chance he gets. Good for Katherine Heigl for calling him out.

Anyway. On a kinda, sorta, not really related noted: American Idol. Have you been watching it? I've caught pieces. Did you see the monkey boy tonight? Oh, my gosh, I nearly died.

17 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monkey boy was a trip! But I feel really bad cuz he and his friend really thought they had a chance...it was sorta sad...I am NEVER going to Seattle....wierdos there! But that 16 year old girl at the end could really sing. And I love simon's face when that really tall black girl came in....He likes him some chocolate with his milk!!!

Isaiah needs to go!

glad your back from the edge!

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your power is back on! I've been thinking about your predicament every time they show the ice storm footage on the news! :)

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you have power!!!!

And I agree on Grey's! Grow up already!!

I did pee my pants over the bush baby monkey boy! I felt bad for him, but I couldn't stop laughing. Mean of Simon, yes, but too damn funny. And that is why people watch the show.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

YOU MAKE ME WISH I WATCHED TV!!!

And EYESCREWING! OMG, I have NEVER heard of that phrase before and I LOVE IT!

And I wanna know what a monkey boy is...

Waaaaahhh! Sometimes I wish I watched TV again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you've thawed out!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger cubmommy said...

Monkey boy looked like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. I told my Hubby he had to watch American Idol last night with me because it was full of mutants. It was so sad.

What about the monotone girl with her mom? She sounded the same singing as she did talking. Yikes!

I think a lot of guys eyescrew Jessica Biel.

Oh, glad you have power again!!!

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally sympathize with your lack of power this past week... I went without power at my house after hurricane katrina for a little over a week in 2005. good lord.

but that aside, I totally am disgusted with Isaiah Washington. What an asshole! No one messes with my George! LOL

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigosh, the city of Seattle should sue American Idol for the damage done on last nights episode! That was tragic, really. (True perhaps, but tragic nonetheless!)

I'm glad you're back Swishy - warm, cozy, and blogging. We need you!!!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

Yay - you've got lights, tv, and heat! I would've pulled my hair out.

I totally agree with you about Reese's outfit. 1. Short dress. Yeah. 2. Yello? Darling! 3. Were they not the cutest shoes ever? I usually don't notice shoes all that much (except my own) but those were fabulous! And red! She can't do anything wrong in my book.

And for AI - did you see that fat gal with no intonation in her voice with her mom? That gal needed a bra soooooooo bad. Thank goodness Simon kept his trap shut.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Thank you, everyone ... it is SO NICE having power again!

Seriously, every time I think "bush baby" I start giggling. Ha ha ha.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

I wonder if the Golden Globes are on YouTube now .. I totally wanna see JT doing that eye thingy to JB ... glad you are home safe and sound! :O)

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Senor Beavis said...

In Seattle's defense, I'm sure that their famewhores are no worse than any other city's.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Hey Swishy - Welcome back! It snowed in Malibu yesterday?! Loved your recap of the Globes and just read your live report from Emmy's - instant classic.
Scribe

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

swish, I watched Grey's last night for the FIRST time...I know, I know, please forgive me...but it was freakin fantastic!!! is it ALWAYS that good? George!! I love George!!! And who is the chick with the long dark hair that he kissed? She is hot! I love that show now and I have to make a point to watch it every week.

I almost wrote this last night during the show..."OMG! I have to write Swishy and tell her I love this show!"!!!!

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so Babel was the biggest piece of shit I've seen in a movie theater. Ever. I called the friend I saw it with and asked if she thought where we live got a different cut, because all the critics thought it was great. How can a movie be great when it makes you hate every single character in it?

And you've been in love with Brad and Angelina since "Mr. and Mrs. Smith." I remember you came into the office after seeing it and acted like only Stephen Hawking could have formulated the chemistry between them. And you playing the soundtrack in my car made me want to throw my radio out the window.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous chris soth said...

Ah...eyescrewing. That's one I'm stealing...eyeboinking would also play...

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you have power again!

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Thanks, Scribe and Jen :)

Beth, I TOLD YOU! George is cute, huh? The dark-haired girl is Callie ... she is like IN LOVE with George. She and George dated for a while but George was still getting over his crush on Meredith and couldn't really commit to Callie, so they broke up. Callie still likes him, though.

And, oh my gosh, ha ha ha. I TOTALLY forgot about that! It's true, though ... I went to see that movie and seriously smacked my friend like five times, like: "CAN YOU BELIEVE THE WAY THEY'RE LOOKING AT EACH OTHER?!?" They were so freaking hot together in that movie. Stephen Hawking ... ha ha ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home