Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Next up ... Christmas!

This tag is courtesy of the lovely Trish Ryan. I'm hoping it will put me in more of a Christmas spirit since, with 16 days and counting, I have yet to buy a present or decorate a thing!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Definitely hot chocolate, but I like some kind of flavor in it, like cinnamon or hazelnut or caramel. Whipped cream on top doesn't hurt, either!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Seriously? There are people who just stack presents under the tree? Even a brand-new bike should get a sheet over it or something!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? When I decorate (this is making me feel bad ... I'm gonna have to pull out the boxes of lights!) I hang white lights and use colored on the tree.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I haven't in a few years, but I'm definitely pro-mistletoe. One year in college, all of my roomates and I stayed in town for Thanksgiving, and I dragged my one roommate to every store imaginable the day after Thanksgiving looking for mistletoe. We went EVERYWHERE. We FINALLY found some, and believe me, it was used!

5. When do you put your decorations up? Um. Yeah. (I actually was going to Thanksgiving weekend, but I didn't. And then last weekend I was too cranky from the snow and ice. Today! I'll do it today!)

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? We have crab legs and shrimp every Christmas Eve and I looooove it!

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? I got a desk when I was, like, six, maybe? My dad made it, and it was the best thing ever. I still have it in my bedroom.

8. When did you learn the truth about Santa? I actually remember this very vividly. I already knew, but I didn't want to make my parents feel bad or ruin the fun for my siblings, so I kept it a secret. Then, one night, my parents got my brother and I out of bed and gave us each a bowl of popcorn (presumably to soften the blow) and broke the news. My brother cried.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I actually exchange presents with my siblings on Christmas Eve, so there are lots of presents opened.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? It's mostly lights. There are like two ornaments on it.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I hate winter weather! Snow is fine the week before Christmas, but after that I'm done.

12. Can you ice skate? HELL to the NO! I think it's the worst thing ever. It seriously is not fun for me. One of my old boyfriends played hockey and kept trying to teach me, and to this day, I swear it's a miracle I never slit his throat with an ice skate.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I've had a lot of favorites. Anything that shows some thought ranks pretty high.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Not to sound Scrooge-y (OK, fine, it's Scrooge-y!), but the past couple of years I've just been happy to get them over with! OK, really--it's the only time all year the whole family's home, so that's fun.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? My mom's homemade caramels.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? My sisters and I always go to the mall on Christmas Eve, even if we're done shopping and even though it's a madhouse. You never know when you'll find something great on sale!

17. What tops your tree? My tree: a red bow. My parents' tree: the tackiest star you'll ever see, picked out by my baby brother when he was five.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? I really do enjoy picking things out for people, but I like to get, too!

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? When I was little, it was "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." I don't know what it is now. I like a lot of the cheesy ones on the radio. For traditional songs, I like "Angels We Have Heard on High."

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Peppermint ones: yuck. The flavored ones: potential for yum. POTENTIAL.

OK, your turn--pick one and let's hear the answer!

12 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

#1 - I vote for hot chocolate, too - but with peppermint in it.

#8 - My "friend" Susie told me about Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the damn Tooth Fairy in one sitting. She thought she was so smart. I was all of 5. She was 8. Bitch.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Bina said...

I'm with you on #2. EVERY present is wrapped. I love seeing the kids rip it apart and then they are so surprised! I would never, not wrap a gift.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

That is hysterical about the ice skating! Makes me realize I wasn't entirely truthful when I answered that. In THEORY, I don't mind skating, but that's probably because Steve has never pushed the issue. The truth is, any activity that involves being outside in cold weather sliding across a rock-hard surface on a sharp blade is not a great idea for me on several counts. But I'm great at being the girl inside with the hot lattes (and no, that's NOT a metaphor...) and the cute new sweater. It's all about playing to your strengths. :)

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

I'm all for hot lattes and cute sweaters, too! That I am definitely good at :)

 
At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Ramblin Rose said...

number 1 hot chocolate with tim Tams!!! yummm o......

good luck getting manic to save any... LMAO

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I come to your house for crab legs? Yummy and very different. I love it!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Karitown said...

I love to ski, but haven't since before having kids. Although my husband and boys do. I love to ice skate too. And I really love to give rather than recieve. It's so awesome seeing someone's face after they get your gift. Then again, if they hate it.....

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Trish said...

I hate ice skating too! My feet are always cold and cramped and then I can't move enough to keep myself warm so I end up on the bench with a hot chocolate. There's no point in me trying it anymore...it's just not happening.

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...homemade caramels...

That's so sad about the Santa revelation. But at least there was popcorn.

Now get your tree decorated, girl!

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read Trish's comment...LOL!
I'm very good at staying inside with the hot chocolate. I'd never considered that a strength though...food for thought.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I wrap every single present too...even the ones in the stocking. My husband's family didn't...(lazy SOB'S!)..come on, you GOTTA wrap the gifts, that's the fun of it, ripping off all the paper and being surprised by what you find.

awww..I like the peppermint ones.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL I have seen this floating around the net and ALWAYS wondered about question #2....my first response is always....you mean there are people that just stack unwrapped presents under the tree???? Heathens all of them!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home