Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, December 11, 2006

I have mad skills

So I'm running errands over the weekend, and I'm on my second trip to Walmart (with a trip to Target sandwiched in between). It's packed, and I want to get the HELL out of there, so I grab what they didn't have at Target and go to the self-checkout line, which is always faster. Unless, of course, you get stuck behind the idiot who can't process the idea of swiping stuff himself, which invariably happens to me, but USUALLY it's quicker.

I alternate hands as I swipe the stuff and drop it in the bag. Beep, drop, beep, drop. Wham bam, thank you, ma'am.

"You're very good at that," says the guy behind me. "Really quick."

That's right. Someone actually COMPLIMENTED me on my SELF-CHECKOUT SKILLS. I've often prided myself on my speediness at the self-checkout, but to have someone ELSE notice? That's beyond big-time. And I'm not even professionally trained!

Another tag later ... I have to work verrrry late tonight, so it'll be late, but I'll do it. Happy Monday, everyone!

(**Update: It's 2:10 freaking a.m. and I think I might die if I don't go to bed, so I promise something new tomorrow. Promise!)

14 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Wish I had someone like you at the check out lines. I get the slowest freaking people I just want to tell them to move and let me do it! My big fancy schmany WalMart doesn't have those self check out lines, but if they did? Girl, I'd be in check out heave! LOL

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

Your secret talent revealed! ;)

PS: My mom makes homemade caramels at Christmas, too. LOVE THEM.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Eileen said...

It is good to know that you always a career in the cashier arts.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger CruiserMel said...

Have you ever thought about bettering yourself by becoming a checkout girl? *duck* Just kidding.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Kim Stagliano said...

Here in New England we have the "Shoppy Buddy" in teh Stop and Shops. You scan your food AS YOU PUT IT IN YOUR CART, it tabulates your items as you go. You go to the self-check out line, swipe your S&S card and bleep bleep all your items appear on screen. You swipe your debit card and out you go! No human contact at all! It's nice, but I do fear for the people with disabilities who may lose their jobs as cashiers and baggers become obsolete.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Happy Sidelines Baby! You rockin' cool swiper you!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I knew you were talented, but this? This is unbelievable! You'll even look good in that blue pinney employees wear. (And if that doesn't motivate you to make it big in the writing world, I don't know what will!)

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Walmart doesn't have self check out either damn it!!

Ya, if you ever need another job, just for the fun of it, go to Walmart. And what didn't Target have, anyway, that Walmart did?

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

A future Walmart Diamond in the rough (future that is). You are a talented talented girl! *grin*
But any compliment is better than none. It was probably a rouse to get your phone number! Hey! Did you ever call orange purse man?

And the award goes to:
Superlative Swiper Swishy

Sorry, couldn't resist.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

HA - I alternate hands as well at the self checkout - it's the only way to make it speedy and out of there!

And how hard could it be to swipe your own stuff?!? I never get the peeps that are there for minutes reading and re-reading the screen directions...oy.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Ramblin Rose said...

You are truley a wonder woman!!! So many talents and so little time....

come on wonder woman what's your next trick.... Stealing tim tams from manic??

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

I hate the selfservice check out thingys ... because the kids ALWAYS want to use it and they ALWAYS take too long and a cranky lady ALWAYS has to come over and fix our PROBLEM.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had an asshole start scanning in the self checkout at winn dixie as I was bagging my groceries once! And I was FAST.

he was an asshole. he couldn't ring up his milwaukee's best fast enough. I do the double handed scan as well! I'm quick!

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my walmart had self check-out for about 6 months and then got rid of it. the self check out was heaven for me since i usually have only a few items. i'm ashamed to admit that i still get embarrassed at going through the check out with tampons if the cashier is a guy.
tigra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home