Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, November 06, 2006

I'm so that girl

You know the girl you see dancing up a storm in the car next to you at the stoplight, or the girl on TV who uses her hairbrush as a microphone, or the girl mouthing the words to the song on her iPod?

Yeah. Me, me and me.

I seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY, love music. I can't do ANY of it, but I love it. When I'm cranky, I put on music (or listen to my vault of Grey's Anatomy clips on You Tube, my new favorite addiction--this very Internet-savvy teenage girl has a crazy Grey's collection I like to poach) and I'm golden in no time.

So last night, I'm listening to the Grey's scene from season one where Derek takes Meredith to the trailer for the first time and he tells her, you know, "My mother's maiden name is Maloney, I have four sisters, my favorite color's blue--not light blue, indigo--my favorite novel is The Sun Also Rises, my favorite band's The Clash" ... that scene. When you listen to TV clips, as opposed to watch them, you notice different things. You pay much more attention to the dialogue, for example (and, oh, how I loooove dialogue), as well as the background music. So I'm listening to that scene, and I am just loving the song that plays with it. I do a little research (Seriously: TV.com. Use it, love it.) and find the song: Fix You Up, by Tegan and Sara. (Scroll down and click on "Fix You Up" ... it's a little rough, though, so go to iTunes and listen to the 30-second snippet if you really wanna hear it.)

This is turning into a long story. Sorry. Anyway, so I download it, and today I go to the coffee shop to work and I decide to listen to it. I throw on the headphones and crank it up and it's just SO GOOD. It totally goes with what I'm working on, and I LOVE IT. So I put it on repeat. And I sit in my chair and clickety-clack on my keyboard and dance and silent-sing away. For an HOUR and a HALF. It's a two-minute song. That means I listened and danced and silent-sang, like, 45 TIMES.

OK, and trust me when I tell you that I am completely unabashed in my dancing and silent-singing. The only time I get embarrassed is when I happen to glance over and see a whole car of people laughing at me at lights. The rest of the time, I'm pretty oblivious to the sidelong glances and slowly-backing-away-from-me-and-running-for-the-door escapes. Of which I have no doubt there are plenty.

I suppose I don't need to mention that I've been listening to the song on repeat the entire time I've been writing this post, huh? In addition to occasionally making a public spectacle of myself, when I make up my mind that I like something, I REALLY like it. Like, REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLY like it.

There was another Tegan and Sara song that used to always get me in a good mood: "Where Does the Good Go." (Favorite line: "Look me in the eye and tell me you don't find me attractive." OK, try getting busted belting THAT out at a stoplight. Awkward with a capital A.) This might replace that one.

20 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Beth said...

God, I would love to pull up next to you at a stop light! I do the same thing! I especially love it when the car next to me has on the same radio station and they are singing too.

Girl, you are a Grey's FANATIC!!!!!!!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

I thought I was "that girl" .. although I suppose I am technically that lady. Darn it. Little do they know that I am jammin' to the Christian Radio station - I love that. Even better is when I am rockin' out to a book on tape ..
Ok, I am becoming a YouTube junky and its all YOUR fault. Ok, its not, but I really feel the need to blame someone .. sorry, I know this is your blog, I'll stop now.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Ramblin Rose said...

too funny!!!! Still waiting for the next season of grey's .....

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OK, I need to hear that song.

Miss you! But am going to bed early so no time to IM. Glad to hear you're cranking on CC!

xoxox

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger TTQ said...

Sunday night I sang Tori songs all the way to Orlando International. 55 mins. I mean loudly!(Tales of a Librarian.) I'm ready to hit the recording studio! I get to the toll and the guy said someone paid my toll for me! Sweet! I saved $1.25.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

I'm so that girl as well. I must look absolutely batty while driving b/c I don't give a crap. Hee! Sing on, Swishy, sing on!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

Did you see that ClickChick13's account has been suspended? I can't see her Grey clips! Oy.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Karitown said...

I do that all the time. Love to sing. Oh, I just thought of my own story. Thanks, now I have a blog topic;))

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Bina said...

45 times! Holy Cow! I did the search, but found the song at last.com, only the 30 second one though. I would love to listen to that while I'm cleaning!

Great song!

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No WAY! Her account has been suspended?!? That SUCKS, because she has all the best clips! That's what I get for linking to her :)

On a side note, I do not understand why networks get all worked up over that. It's SUCH GOOD PUBLICITY! You can't post any more than 10 minutes, anyway. And ABC's shows ALREADY are free online. Duh.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

OK, that was me. Apparently I'm embracing my anonymity today.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

It's okay to break your own.. you just can't beak someone elses... anonymity that is.

Sorry you got banned, Well I will be when I quit giggling..

I was going to leave you a note saying you might want to find a 12 step program for your addiction to Grey's..low and behold, you've been cut off. ahahahahahahah

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Why do u luv Greys Anatomy so much... Do you see yourself as one of the character's? Do you have your own "Mcdreamy"!?!?!?!? tell us please!!!!!!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

You are too funny. I used to get thorugh my dark days as a lawyer by driving around on weekends belting out Janet Jackson tunes. As Miss Jackson "evolved," I realized at one point that the words coming out of my mouth - something about fun things people do in groups of three - were so over the top, I couldn't sing them any more. A few I wasn't even sure I understood.

I started to belt out an Indigo Girls song at the gym the other night. Didn't realize I was singing out loud until Steve looked at me in shock, and then almost fell off the eliptical machine laughing. I guess I should stick to writing; the silent art :)

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Jen-t said...

Dang blogger ate my post....I don't sing, ever. I did do lipsinc back in HS. We used do the go-gos in a a few airband contests.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Barbie W said...

Oh My, I can SOO relate to the singing in the car bit! sometimes I fantasize when I have my earpiece in for my cell that it's a microphone and I'm a pop-star!! (HA! can't believe I admitted that one!) and I do think it's funny when you see someone else singing the same song in another car! Great post!!!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I love that you're that girl. That's so awesome. Which reminds me of when Callie told McVet that she was "that" girl in the back of class that ate her hair. But yours is better and it rocks. I'm kinda that girl. Especially around my 14-year old daughter. Because I want her to see that we can grow up and be completely comfortable in our own skin. Very important.

Stopping by to say hi. Have a great day!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

TTQ, you are EVIL!! :) There are some left, don't you worry.

Ohhh, Anon, Anon, Anon. I definitely relate to Meredith. A lot. I could spend all day telling you why ... are you buying the drinks?? :)

 
At 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I also am sooooo that girl. The fun part is that I love Latin music and speak Spanish fluently, and I'm learning French, and listen to some French music, so it's awesome to catch a glimpse of the confused faces who hear what I'm singing/dancing along to!
If you love music, you should check out www.chrissaub.com
Click on the cd titles at the top of the page to listen. My friend Chris's cds are ALWAYS in my car - almost the only music in English that I listen to. (Sorry for the shameless plug - I'm his CD girl, what can I say. But it's amazing music and I want everyone to hear how great it is! Especially other music lovers)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home