Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Tag, I'm it!

I got tagged today by not one, but TWO people: Trish Ryan and Alyssa Goodnight, which means now I REALLY can't slack! That also means you get to read five "interesting" things about me, stuff you can't tell about me by looking at my little feet up there. Here goes:

1. I can't swim. Actually, I can KINDA swim, but I absolutely cannot tread water. I've tried to do the "pretend you're on a bike" thing, and the "pretend you're smashing grapes with your feet" thing, and no dice. I sink like a rock, and apparently that makes me very fun at pool parties. Because, you know, it's SO HILARIOUS to throw Swishy in the deep end and watch her flail and choke until someone dives in to get her. (My siblings--who all can swim--are the worst ones. A few years ago we were in Florida, and my brother tossed me in the pool and then jumped in and PUSHED ME UNDER while the other ones took pictures. Ha FREAKING ha.) I can't ice skate or rollerblade, either. I'm lucky I can walk in a straight line.

2. Speaking of siblings ... I'm the oldest of six kids. I'm a very stereotypical oldest child. Bossy, opinionated, independent, little bit of an overachieving streak, the one who calls all the others to remind them when it's someone's birthday. I think my birth order very much contributed to shaping my personality and identity--does everyone else feel like that, too?

3. I skipped kindergarten. I know, doesn't that sound obnoxious? The school psychologist pulled me out on the second day when I tested (allegedly--this is according to my mother, so take it with a grain of salt) at a sixth-grade level in reading and a third-grade level in math. So instead of kindergarten that year, I went to first grade in the morning and second grade (for reading) in the afternoon. (My mom said no to full-time second grade because she was worried about the age difference.) The next year, I did second grade in the morning and fourth grade in the afternoon. The year after that, I got put in some gifted program and stopped the whole back-and-forth thing. However, I assure you that if I ever had freakish intellectual potential, it disappeared by age 8.

4. I have to have noise. I have a very hard time with total silence. It makes me crazy--I can't think. If it gets too quiet at work, I have to throw on headphones so I can concentrate. At home, I usually have music or TV on in the background. The only time that's not true is when I'm reading. But one of the things I'm proudest of about myself is that I can be alone, too. I didn't know a single soul when I moved here (I didn't know anyone within, like, 500 miles!), and I've lived alone for more than six years. I've never felt like I had to stay in a relationship because I was scared to be on my own. And one of my favorite things in the world is to go to some coffee shop by myself with my laptop or a book. I'm pretty outgoing, so I think it surprises people when they realize that about me. I loooove my Swishy time--probably another byproduct (along with needing noise) of growing up in a house full of people!

5. I've tried out for three reality shows. One of them was on a dare, one of them was for my job, and one of them was because I want to be a millionaire and have hot, virile young men fanning me and serving me pina coladas on a beach somewhere. I wasn't crazy enough for the first; I got to the second round of the second. The third? I got far enough for a screen test, and I SUPPOSE it's still possible I'll be on, though I highly doubt it. You're invited to the party if I'm wrong!

OK, my turn to tag five people. I tag ... let's see. How about: Beth, Golightly, Two Roads, Trish and, of course, my BBFF Manic. Everyone make sure you go read their answers (and Trish Ryan's and Alyssa's, too, if you haven't yet)!

(And, oh yeah--for whoever asked questions, I'll answer them later this week!)

17 Comments:

At 3:34 AM, Blogger Sara Hantz said...

I'm the eldest of 4 and definitely have eldest child syndrome. And as you know, it's not easy.

I'm with you on the noise thing too!

Wow on the reality Tv - I'd love to take part in one... of course if i did my kids would probably disown me....

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Karitown said...

This tagging is a fun idea. I love reality TV. IT would be awesome to be a part of one.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Trish said...

Your elementary school days sounded exhausting...

So you tagged me huh? Ok...I'll put something up later today. ;-)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I still do math at the third grade level...

Steve and I were in Costco the other day and I said, "Oh look - they have tuna on sale for fifty cents a can!" Steve said, "Where do you see that?" I replied (way too excited about a deal on bulk fish) "Right there, honey - see the sign - TUNA 10 CANS/$10.00!"

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Alyssa Goodnight said...

Your school situation is amazing! I didn't know they did stuff like that...

So sorry about the whole swimming thing--have you tried treading water just using your arms. (no doubt you have...just thought I'd ask)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Two Roads said...

Swishy - as soon as I saw the titled I knew you would tag me and sure enough without even reading I scroll down and there I am. Okay, today I will try to be creative.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OK, YOU SUCK. I do not have five interesting things to share.

Thanks for the load of pressure!

Oh, and Kari, if you think tagging is such a fun idea, you can bet who's "it" next!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Andie said...

ha.

I can barely swim, too!

I ALMOST skipped a grade, but my mom wouldn't let them.

and I was perfectly content being alone too. Until I fell in love with my husband!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Karitown said...

too late, Manic. Drew just tagged me! Crap, I don't have 5 interesting things to share either. Now I have to think.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

Yep. oldest here. You are right about birth order.
I can't say I skipped any grades, but I didn't miss any either ... I'll take that!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

OK, swishbitch. I did your freakin' tag. xo

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger kim said...

Karitown -- that just means you have to do ten!

Swishy -- My older sister skipped a grade (she's the oldest -- hmmmm).

I'm definately the middle child.

I lived alone for years too and loooved it.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

that last one: I think you should keep trying out. You'll get there, Swish; and then post about all of the nitty-gritty here!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Neil said...

You skipped kindergarten! Wow. You must have missed where they taught us to swim.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

sounds like you worked harder in Kindergarten than I did my whole K - 12 grades. Sheesh. Smarty pants! Go, you!

I'm the eldest and play out the stereotype to a 'T'.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Bina said...

Dang! Yours is more interesting than anyone else's I've read. Oldest of six? Extremely smart? Tried out for a reality show and you CAN'T swim? Hmmm, must not have been survivor then, cause that's a sure vote-off when they find out you can't swim! LOL

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Oh my gosh, you guys, about the whole kindergarten thing--I am not a super smarty pants person! I'm really not. I'm not, like, an idiot, but I'm not one of those people either. I was just a big reader when I was young.

On the swimming thing--that is EXACTLY why I could never do Survivor! I think that every time I see that show ... that I could handle the rest of it, but they'd boot my ass the second they found out I can't swim. I've never tried treading water just using my arms though, if you can believe it--I get too freaked out. But I will now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home