Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

How to tell you've had a long day

So picture this: I'm leaving work a little after 7, and there's, oh, I don't know, 10 cars left in the parking lot. Not 100--10. I usually park toward the back of the lot, so I start walking, scanning the lot, trying to remember where exactly I parked ... and I do NOT see my car. ANYWHERE. I walk a little farther, and seriously, there are like three cars left and none of them is mine.

"Shit," I think, "I bet I got towed." There are a handful of reserved spots up front, and once or twice I've parked in one of them because I was running super late. And then I remember that duh, I haven't parked in one of those spots in at least two months, and like they would have me towed anyway. I'd at least get a snotty, passive-aggressive note on my windshield first.

"Shit," I think, "someone stole my car!" Granted, it's six years old, and granted, it's missing a hubcap, and granted, it's got a crappy stereo, and granted, I work in about the most benign corporate park ever, but STILL. It had to be stolen, because it was NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

I flip open my phone to call the last guy who left work. I want to ask him if my car was there when he left. You know, so I'm able to put a timeframe on the crime when the police arrive.

I look around the parking lot one last time, start dialing and then ... yeah. I see my car, parked at the absolute perfect can't-see-it-till-you're-right-on-top-of-it angle behind another car. OF COURSE I see it, because really. Who steals cars from office parking lots in the middle of the day?

The most pathetic part of this story is that I'm really not kidding. I really did think my car was gone. All I have to say in my defense is that I haven't gotten more than like four or five hours of sleep in forever. That, and at least I didn't flip my phone open to call the cops first. Can you imagine?

18 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Beth said...

This happened to me at the grocery store...I got my stuff, go out to the parking lot, and couldn't find my car. I start freaking out, call my husband, "Someone stole the car!"..here, I parked on the opposite side of the parking lot and drove our other car! I was looking for the wrong car! it was right in front of me the whole time. Mush head.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

I did that coming out of a baseball game once. Looked everywhere - up and down the street, around the block, even peering into the car parked in the spot I thought mine should be in, as if it might have EATEN my car to get that splace. Turns out the car WAS stolen.

We called the police but they never showed up. I guess the moral of the story is that even if you had called them from your flip phone, you might not have inconvenienced them as much as you'd think :) (Admittedly, not much of a moral, but it's kinda early)

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Karitown said...

I once drove my parents car to school in 12th grade, forgot I drove, then rode the bus home. My parents asked, "Kari, did you forget something?" I was mortified. What's even worse is when we drove back to get it, my cousin was still sitting there, waiting for her ride home.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Trish said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like that. If I really can't find my car then I press the "panic" button on the remote to set the horn honking and the lights flashing. I find it every time.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Bina said...

I've never lost my car, but I have tried to take the WRONG car! Oh yea, has happened twice. One time the people were standing not-so-far away and laughing while me trying to get my key in the door. Recently, a tried to get in the wrong car outside of a restaurant, with windows, and I parked in front. My car was on the other side of that one. Yea, I really pay attention.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Boo7 said...

Poor Swishy....that does sound like a long trying day!! Good thing indeed that you didn't call the cops...that one might have been hard to explain if they had shown up. I have never lost my car but have seriously tried to get into someone else's thinking it was mine.....like bina.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

My mom's car was stolen in the middle of the day at my father's work.

And I worked in such a crappy place my first job out of college, there was a full-time security guard and gate and cars STILL got stolen AND broken into practically daily.

That's what happens when your first job is in Bellwood, Illinois.

Go ahead and Google it. You'll see.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Ramblin Rose said...

I do that all the time!!! I swear I do!!! Our car once got stolen right next door to the police station whilst the kids and I were at play group I thought it would be a safe place to park!! NOT ... the sold our stroller and 2 brandnew car seats and everything!! I was pissed... Hey I left a comment for you over at Manic about candy corn....

RR

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Kim Stagliano said...

In college my roommates and I called an electrician in a complete and total huff. OUR FRIDGE WAS BROKEN! Warm beer was not an option for us. Stinking cheap landlord and his broken appliances, we wished him straight to hell. Electrician came, pushed fridge out from wall and plugged it in.... :)

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Alyssa Goodnight said...

I have a suburban, and that still happens to me--the hidden behind the other car part. And I'm always going up to other beige suburbans and trying to get in. I think I have the most popular color.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

LOL!! I did that just last year after I bought my car. I couldn't remember exactly what it looked like (!) and spent almost two hours wandering around an unfamiliar parking ramp in Madison looking for it.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger kim said...

I like your photo ;o).

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Caryn said...

How scary! Glad your car was okay. If it makes you feel any better, I think we've all done something similar from time to time.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Brony said...

I lose my car in parking lots all the time. A couple of them I've even found myself panicking.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Eileen said...

My piece of crap car was stolen by convicts escaping from prison once. I shit you not.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Jen-t said...

my mom once thought her car was gone. When the cop came he said he'd been delayed because a car had rolled into the road, but no driver could be found...um yeah, mom's car.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Eileen, are you KIDDING me?!?! HA HA HA HA HA. What a story.

You guys are all hilarious. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one :)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger doodles said...

I actually did call the cops once when i was at the bar thinking my car was stolen...oh yes, i was "that" girl... sheesh.. it would have been helpful to have someone point out that not only could i not find my car in front of my face, but maybe i shouldn't be driving it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home