Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Not bad for a Tuesday night

Did I mention that I'm playing on a softball team with some people from work? No? Well, maybe I would if we would EVER FREAKING HAVE A GAME!

The schedule's only four weeks, with a doubleheader each week. Last week: canceled. This week: canceled. Supposedly those games will be tacked on the end, which at this rate, will be among the snow drifts in December.

But tonight I was glad they were canceled, because the night turned strangely, unexpectedly fun. I came home and got to have my little Grey's fest--which I obviously was giddy about--while I ate dinner. (And, yes, I'm still being mostly good, but I had chocolate cake--chocolate MOUSSE cake--for dessert because it was a special occasion. And oh, was it gooooooood.) And then I got this random phone call, and I do mean random: This girl I'd never met before had gotten my number from someone, and would I like to come play basketball with a bunch of other girls at 8:30? Um, go play basketball or go have another boring night at the gym ... LET ME THINK ABOUT THIS ONE.

OK, these girls, though? Not only were most of them about 100 times better than me, but they were much cooler than me, too. Like four of them are surgeons. SURGEONS. And they're CUTE, too. REALLY cute. They're CUTE and they get paid to CUT PEOPLE OPEN. If that's not a guy's dream come true, I don't know what is. And one of them who's not a surgeon? Her brother is a PAPARAZZI. (Or paparazzo. Whatever.) Not a fake one like me. A real one, who got $5,000 from People magazine for a shot of Keith Urban and $11,000 for one he took of Sandra Bullock in a bathrobe. (The one hot surgeon girl was totally disgusted--she's like, "Think of how Sandra Bullock feels!"--and really, deep down, I suppose I agree, even though I think millions of dollars must ease the pain a little bit. But I mean, who knew REAL PEOPLE were paparazzi? You know? They're, like, supposed to be these nameless, faceless, soulless demons on VH1 specials. That's why I thought it was cool.)

Anyway, so I played basketball with people much cooler and more athletic than me, and it was way fun, even though it kicked my ass. And then I came home and got this email from someone I know. It was about some sort of adminstrative thing, but then this person tacked on at the end: "Hope your day is going well. Wish I knew you better. You seem like one of those people everyone should know." Which I thought was SO NICE, if totally untrue (the last part). I mean, really! That has to be one of the nicest things someone's said to me in a while.

And then I cracked up at people's blogs and comments, and now I'm going to revise my thing a little bit before I go to bed. (Which, actually, has been more fun than painful lately--wonders never cease. I actually LIKE doing it now.) Also sprinkled in: a couple of fun/funny conversations with some friends.

So I had a very simple, but good, night. Yay! I hope you did, too.

15 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Beth said...

papparzzi are real people? who woulda thunk it? I can't help it, I buy all those magazines, ya know...to keep up on all the "important" news!

You are so athletic!! I bet you totally rocked those "cool girls"!

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Hotwire said...

as the papparazzi dude how much $$ for a photo of natalie portman...!

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jen-t said...

Wow - sounds like a blast. I haven't played basketball since I was like 15, and I don't think shooting hoops in the driveway with the kids.

I did play hockey for a few years, but no one but my husband took pictures. Hockey was fun, but after a broken leg and concusion, it was time to hang up my skates. Now I just go watch my three kids play.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Trish said...

Those cool girls may be surgeons and all but can they throw together a BLOG like our girl swishy?

I think not.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger othur-me said...

I'm not surprised about the hot surgeons. There was a way hot chick on my surgical team and I get to see her every two weeks for my follow up appointments. I think that's just supposed to be one of the benefits of being sick. They're there to ease your (my) pain.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

I read all those magazines, too!

Daaaamn, Jen! You have to be TOUGH to play hockey!

Trish, thank you for giving me the biggest smile of my day!

On the topic of hot doctors, when I got my appendix taken out, the cutest intern EVER was assigned to me. He was so cute, and so nice, and he even watched a little bit of a Lifetime movie with me. (I was 10.)

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Okay. Here's what I have to say:

1. I always knew you were a closet lezbo, you are just waiting for a rich gal (insert surgeon) ((OH WAIT! I'm talking lezbo and I say INSERT--ewwww!))

2. Chocolate Mousse Cake. I am jealous.

3. THis is so true, and I'm glad! And glad that I know you! "You seem like one of those people everyone should know."

4. "and now I'm going to revise my thing a little bit"... I think I AM THE ONLY PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD WHO REALLY KNOWS WHAT THIS MEANS!!!!! Yikes! (and I know you well enough that you are completely falling off your chair cracking up now! CFOYCCUN instead of just ROFLAO

5. And I also know that this: "Also sprinkled in: a couple of fun/funny conversations with some friends" means the IM conversation we had about your day!

AM I right? Do I win the Best-Blogger-Friend-Ever-Swishy Award!?!?!?!?!

ANd in grand Manic fashion, here is my Word verification:

fcako... wtf? fuckcako!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Karitown said...

I love those magazines, almost as much as I love reality shows;)))

And cute doctors, well, ahem, yum! I think I feel something coming on, and it ain't a cold, folks! Only my doctor isn't cute.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Wow - you're living the dream life! If you just tweak the story a little bit, you can honestly say that you were out playing basketball with some friends and papparazzi swarmed all around you, making it impossible for you to make a basket...

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Did you so not read my comment yet? Or are you still busy howling with laughter?!?!?!

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Eileen said...

You played ball with a bunch of female Dr. McDreamy types. I think that makes you a touch mcdreamy too

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger mama kay said...

When I think of papparazzi I can only think of Adam Levine (or whatever) from TMZ .. always everywhere, screaming 'Hey Vanessa, looking good' ... 'Yo, Starvos, wazzup'... or whatever ... but, real? Nah ..
Good for you - having such a rockin' night ..

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

I explained who is who using manic and martini as examples, this is probably going to bite me in the ass but you needed to now what was going on!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

MM ... I don't know where to begin, my blogging BFF!! You're crazy! Definitely laugh-my-ass off crazy, though. HA HA HA. Good times in Manic Mom Town this weekend!!

OK, the "touch mcdreamy"? I can SO be on board with that logic! :)

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

What a fun post, Swish! You kids have fun this weekend...I WILL hang out with you and MM again. And there will be much drinking and laughing. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home