Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My blogger blind date!

Consider this a warning: I am totally not afraid to meet any of you in person. If I find out we're going to be in the same place at the same time, I'm gonna make you go get lunch or coffee or something with me. I just will.

So when I found out BFOS (that's Blog Friend of Swishy) Trish Ryan and I were going to be in St. Louis at the same time, I practically accosted her via email and asked her if she wanted to meet up. This was not weird in the slightest for me. It might have been exceptionally weird for her, but because she's so nice, she didn't let on a bit. She was totally up for it.

OK, so the meeting up part isn't weird, but here's what IS weird: wondering what the other person's going to expect. You wonder if they'll expect someone older, someone younger, someone funnier, someone blonder, someone ... cooler. And then you remember that this person knows that you've dropped your security card in your pee at work and that you've sung at the top of your lungs while circling the high school track at 11 p.m. And you realize the "Will they think I'm cool enough?" ship has kinda sailed. The only thing left to wonder is, "Is there a chance I can sort of pretend to be normal?"

Trish learned one thing about me right away: I'm always late. Not ALWAYS always, but a lot. I know what punctual people think of chronically late people, I KNOW. And yes, I do have my shit together, and no, I'm not trying to be rude. I hope if you're one of those punctual people, you like me anyway. I'm just always a few minutes behind. I was born seven days late--the only one in my family not to come early--and my mom (who, by the way, runs about 1,000 times later than I do) is fond of saying that I haven't been on time since.

But I digress. I was a little bit late because I had to shower. As I told Trish, you can tell the Internet I'm a freak, but you can't tell it I don't have good hygiene. At least I'll be CLEAN!

Trish and I met downtown and we decided to go to a tapas restaurant for dinner. If you've never been, going to a tapas place is a fantastic way to feel instantly comfortable. You order a ton of little dishes to share, and you're reaching across the table and trying everything and comparing notes on what tastes best (I was a fan of the Spanish meatballs myself).

But this is the honest truth--I didn't NEED any help feeling comfortable. I already knew I liked Trish, but I liked her that much more the second I met her. She is cute, cute, cute! She's funny, and smart, and a fantastic conversationalist. We had a great time (OK, I did ... but I think she did, too! I hope!) talking up a storm about writing, relationships, lame previous jobs, pets--you name it. And ohhh yes, just the itty bittiest slices of blog gossip! Hee hee.

It was fun times all around, and just reinforced my feeling that anyone who seems great in Internet land really IS that great in real life.

Well, the people I've met are, anyway.

9 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Blogger Ramblin Rose said...

YAY!!! How cool you met up!!! Now fill us in on the blog gossip!!!

And if you ever come to oz I'll shout you a pint!!! MATE!!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Swishy is now in charge of marketing public relations for anything I ever do from this point on!!!

Seriously, we had an AWESOME time, and I will make my way to the center of the country whenever I can just to share little plates of food with this girl :)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Bina said...

That is great! I would love to meet some of the people in person. I know it would be interesting, if nothing else, and I'm sure it would be a great time!

BTW, not sure if you've been there yet, but Beth's daughter had her baby! I told her to write a book about it cause I want to know everything!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Bina said...

Oh, I do have one more comment about knives. I was cutting steaks and veggies to put on a stick for the gril (okay, so I can't spell shishkabob) and the knives were all so dull! My 18-year-old said, "here mom, let me sharpen that for ya". He hands it back, said to be careful because its razor sharp. So, I slice into a mushroom, it melts through and cuts open my thumb. Of course he laughed, I wanted to snap the knife in two, but I just let the blood drip all over the meet and cooked it ... .KIDDING!!!!!!! Ha Ha (Just about the blood thing)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Trish said...

Oohhh so you're the secret blogger date!!

That is so cool that you got together. I always wonder what it would be like to meet with other bloggers and if my perception of them from their blogs will be accurate.

And Tapas? I am always on the lookout for a good tapas bar (or any tapas bar for that matter)becuase the food is good and the portions are so small you can order bunches of it.

So if your ever on this side of the border...:-)

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

Fun times! If you are ever in Texas, swing on by!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Don't believe Bina, she totally cooked that meat with blood all over it!

I would love to meet you, I bet you are so much more fun in person.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger mama kay said...

That is just too cool. I hope you make it to my area sometime!
Having just discovered Trish's blog (via you) I can attest that she certainly seems like she would be cute and FUNNY!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Andie said...

that is very cool. I have quite a few friends I met online when I was planning my wedding, and I have never really been disappointed. It's amazing how one's thoughts and words can really radiate their personality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home