Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Well, hi there! Let's make out!

The past couple of days I have been in a complete, delirious, sleepless daze. Do you know when you're too tired to even sleep? But at the same time you can't do anything really useful or productive, because you're so freaking tired? Me, me, me! I went to bed at 3:30 Thursday night and got up at 7, which was the worst. As my brother will tell you, I'm not a teenager anymore! One night, fine, but I've been a very bad sleeper for the past few weeks and that was the tipping point. My body totally launched a full-out protest. My hands started shaking, I drove past my own apartment without realizing it, and then last night my HAIR started hurting. If you've ever had your hair hurt, you know what a weird sensation it is. The follicles on your head LITERALLY hurt.

So I came home, went to bed at 2, and slept until 2:30 today. 2:30! I'd wake up and sort of think, I need to get up now, but would doze off again before I could muster up the energy to roll myself off the bed. I only got up because I had to be somewhere at 4. I felt a little guilty, but not THAT guilty. I haven't slept more than five hours in FOREVER.

And, hey--my hair doesn't hurt anymore!

Anyway, last night was our girls night, and as I said, I was pretty much at the height of my fogginess, so I can't tell you how this conversation started, but it was about kissing people as a greeting. One woman said her dad's friend always kisses her on the lips when he greets her. And, come to think of it, so does this other person. And this other person. (Says my friend Allee: "Are you sure you're not going around kissing THEM?" Ha ha.)

OK, but seriously, we started talking about this, and apparently there are a lot of people out there who kiss on the lips when they greet another person. Where I grew up, it was very common for people to kiss on the cheek when they saw each other (it doesn't seem to happen much where I live now), but the lips? Is that the new cheek? Does this mean I can go up to a cute guy, kiss him on the lips and pass it off as a friendly "hello" instead of a lusty "I want to jump your bones"? Because if so, I'd really like to know that now.

5 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Beth said...

there's a few people that i always kiss hello, on the lips....my daughter Rae, my brother in-law Marcus(why? I don't know!)and my ex sister-in-law lisa(who was married to marcus, so maybe there is something with that). I think you should totally kiss some really hot guy Hello!!! Go for it! but when you really thing about it, it really IS kind of personal, huh?

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

lol. I'll remember "the kiss on the lips" is acceptable as a greeting when I formally meet George Clooney. If he looks at me weird instead of melting upon impact, can I just tell him about your post and that I'm too hip to kiss on the cheek? Tee-hee.
Scribe

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Allison Winn Scotch said...

While I fully advocate you kissing hot guy on the lips and passing it off as a breezy hello (totally something that would have done while single...seriously), I find the whole kissing-on-the-lips-as-a-greeting to be completely squicky. Ew. Her father? The only people who get lip kisses (or kissies, as my son would say) are my husband and my son. Beyond that, blech!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger mama kay said...

Yea, I don't do that.
Although I agree with Scribe LA, if I met George, I would do it just because you said it was ok.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

OK, then it's settled: Random kissing of cute boys good; random kissing of otherwise random people bad. As long as we all back each other up, we should be good :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home