Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tonight

I couldn't drag my butt to the gym before it closed (a combination of being too tired and the train wreck that was "Celebrity Duets") so I went to the high school track instead at like 10:30. It was a gorgeous night to be outside, and I was the only person there. The elements were absolutely perfect for ... workout karaoke!

Yes, it's true. I cranked up my iPod, took off down the track, and sang at the top of my lungs. For, like, 45 minutes. With my luck, there were probably a couple of high school kids making out back behind the goal post, completely laughing their asses off the entire time. Or worse, some guy sitting across the street with a video camera on zoom, making a YouTube clip that'll be in your inbox by tomorrow morning. But seriously? It was FUN!

A sample of my set list (I stayed away from the boy bands and Britney, but don't think I won't bust them out if the situation calls for it):

Mr. Brightside--The Killers
Futures and 23--Jimmy Eat World
Swing, Swing--All-American Rejects
Harder to Breathe--Maroon 5
Sick Cycle Carousel--Lifehouse

I capped it off with "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" by Lenny Kravitz, and I totally think I pulled something in my left thigh doing air guitar. I'm not kidding. I was dancing around, doing the fun iPod dance (you know, like on the commercial) and admiring how cool my sassy little shadow looked along the 50-yard line, and I landed hard on my left leg. Oops. Ha ha ha ha.

And now, because I clearly have no shame, I'll tell you what I did right before I left. The grass on the football field was PERFECT. It had just been trimmed and the sprinklers had been on earlier in the night, so the grass was still a little wet. It's the kind of grass you just HAVE to roll around in. So (this is where there really SHOULD be a video) I went to about the 5-yard line, heaved my keys in the air like they were a football, and ran to the end zone to make a diving touchdown catch. I dove and caught them, all right ... and then totally cracked my head on the ground. And then DIED laughing, even though I was seeing stars. (I guess that's why football players wear helmets ... ha ha.)

So I might have a concussion, and I might have woken up the entire neighborhood, and I might have willingly surrendered any shred of self-pride I may have had left, but damn, if I didn't crack myself up. AND I did three miles!

11 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Yes. You are a total dork, and I am so glad you are my friend!

Grass that begs to be rolled in, to quote Paris Hilton, "Is hot!" I'm sure you've given your male readers a little bit of blood flow, if ya know what I mean?

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger kate said...

I just wrote a long comment and somehow erased it grrrrr


I LOVE my Ipod and have done the singing dancing run around a track myself... although no air guitar and football for me! *wink

I think I may have to go for a run in the rain right now!

cheers!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Allee said...

Good for you!!!!

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Eileen said...

I bet the neighborhood kids are just the smallest bit scared of you.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Trish Ryan said...

That's fantastic. I will think of you when I'm on the treadmill tonight, and hope I don't slip and belt out bits of my playlist for all the gym to hear.

Roll on, sister friend.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Allison Winn Scotch said...

Workout kareoke is my fave! Whenever I workout at home, I turn my Napster up superloud and sing along. Love it!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

HILARIOUS!

You are too much fun!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Gotta love the ipod dancing.. I do it when I'm in the house doing chores...Sometimes I catch myself in the mirror and say DAMN I CAN MOVE! And yes I've given myself a few injuries along the way..the lamp cracking on my head was a good one..

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Andie said...

oh I've considered doing the touchdown catch thing! That's cool that you did it!

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger mama kay said...

Ok, I am soo lame. So completely and entirely out of it. The only band you mention (besides Brit) is Maroon 5 .. when did I become so musically uncool? I used to be so with it. Damn!!!!!!

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

MamaK, don't worry. I bet you'd know 'em if you heard 'em. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home