Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

This should explain a lot about me

I was a precocious kid. Which is really a nice way of saying "pain in the ass." But I was. When I was in fourth grade, I decided to start a school newspaper. Actually, it was more of a fourth-grade paper, because we were the coolest, but I passed it out to the whole school. Somehow, the teachers went along with me handing it out in their classes.

I'm not kidding. I was 8. And my school went up to the sixth grade.

So my mom sent me an old copy she'd found the other day. The main news story:

"In Math, Mrs. Hughey's group is learning multipulcation. Mrs. Storey's class is going on to two-digit multipulcation. In Science they are learning about comets, metoroids, and asteroids."

A ... lifestyle story, we'll say:

"A reading class for fourth grade read a short story about a mural in Mission District, San Francisco. They decided to make a mural of Birchwood School. Their teacher, Mrs. Baskin, said, 'It was a wonderful idea.'"

And it wouldn't be a Swishy paper without an entertainment story:

"ATTENTION!! This month there will be votes for best rock video for 1987. For the girls section there will be 'Heaven is a place on earth', 'I think we're alone now'. and 'Shake your love'. For the boy's section there will be 'Cry tough' 'Wipe out' and 'Living on a prayer'"

(I voted for "Shake Your Love." OBVIOUSLY!)

But the biggest memory I have of this little endeavor has to do with (of course) a boy. I used to put a tagline at the bottom of every paper that said: "QUESTIONS FOR THE EDITOR? If you have any questions about the newspaper, call Swishy at 989-2456 for answers." (That was actually my real number. What a great number, huh?)

Anyway, this sixth-grade boy named Collin Decker actually used to call and ask me questions! I know what you're thinking, and no, he was NOT making fun of me. He really wasn't. He was cute with a capital C, and he always used to walk me down the hall to my class in the morning. I remember one day coming to school with atrociously curly hair thanks to the foam rollers my mom had put in the night before, and the first thing the kids in my class said to me wasn't, "Omigosh, what happened to your hair?" but "OMIGOSH! DID COLLIN DECKER SEE IT?" I was late for a spelling quiz, and this girl Kim was copying off the girl next to her, and ... see? I TOTALLY remember!

Anyway, so Collin Decker used to call me. He was the first boy, really, to do that. I used to take the phone across the living room and down the basement stairs as far as the cord would stretch, and yell for my sister to shut the door so I could have some privacy. And I'd sit there perched on the stairs, hoping to high heaven one of my siblings wouldn't come down and yell something totally embarrassing, half-giggling, half trying to think of something clever, all while thinking, "OMIGOSH, I'm talking to a BOY! And he's ELEVEN!" Oh, those were heady days. Heady, heady days.

One day, Collin told me he knew a sixth-grade boy who had a crush on me, but wouldn't say who. I asked EVERYONE if they knew who it was, and I mean EVERYONE. I was DYING to know. Finding out became my mission in life. Even though he walked me to my class and called to ask me questions about my paper, it didn't occur to me for a second that cute Collin Decker was the boy with the crush. I found out A YEAR LATER it was him. (I mean, I was 8-turning-9. Did you expect me to say something happened? Of COURSE nothing happened!)

Collin Decker went on to middle school. I abandoned my newspaper the next year to focus my energy on becoming queen bee of fifth and sixth grade. (Juuuust kidding.) I have absolutely no idea what happened to him. He disappeared by the time I hit high school.

And yes, I've Googled him. Not for a while, but I have. Nada.

7 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Allison Winn Scotch said...

Hee! Great minds think alike: I was just about to suggest that you google him. :) What a cute, cute story.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Heady, heady stuff indeed, Swishy :-)
If you're meant to cross paths, you will... And yes, I totally love that movie "Serendipity." Sometimes, I am such a girly girl.
Scribe

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I think we are destined to be blog friends, because i could have written a similar post about my childhood!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Beth said...

swishy, you met Nate?!?!?!? Story please!!!! How, when, where, EVERYTHING!! Are you famous or sumthin? how 'bout Oprah...met her too?

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Scribe, if John Corbett had short Aidan hair in that movie, it would be perfect :) I'm pretty much an incurable romantic in some ways. I really believe certain people are meant to be together. I'm guessing my match isn't Collin Decker ... but what a fun story if he were! :)

HA! Beth, you are so funny. I am so not famous. (Well, I am among certain prison circles. But that's another story.) I haven't met Oprah, but I HAVE been to Oprah. I snagged a front-row seat and she gave me a little nod because I was the only one giving her a standing ovation at the end. HA! (I WILL tell you the story. Is your email on your page? I'll email you.)

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Tell the WHOLE story on your blog babe.

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I'm not sure but I think we are talking about the same person. Did u live in Rockaway, NJ? Collin turned out to be one of my best friends in High School and I'm sorry to tell you he's Gay. Unfortunately he committed suicide. I think of him often and if this is the same Collin I'm sure he would have loved to have known! Nice story? He was a cute kid!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home