Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

I put the FU in FUN

Ha ha. I saw a T-shirt on this website that said that and it made me laugh. But I DO try to have fun, at least a little bit, if it KILLS me. Because life is too short not to, you know?

Take today, for example. Our system shut down for an hour or so at work, so we couldn't really do anything. And it was gorgeous outside, absolutely, perfectly gorgeous. (We have, like, five truly gorgeous days a year where I live, so this was quite the red-letter development.) AND it was noon. So nice day, can't work, lunchtime ... no-brainer, right? Well, apparently not QUITE the no-brainer, because some people were more than content to stay right at their desks in worship of The Man. But not Swishy. Hell to the no! as Whitney Houston would say.

So what did I do? I'll tell you what I did. I drove to Burger King and got a hamburger kids meal. And then I drove to this park/lake down the road. And then I went into my trunk and pulled out my huge pink picnic blanket (which I crafted with my OWN TWO HANDS, thank you very much, a very impressive accomplishment for a girl who got a D in sewing in the eighth grade). And THEN I walked over to the edge of the lake, spread out my blanket, opened up the In Style that conveniently was in my backseat, and ate my kids meal while I read about skinny jeans (yuck) and whether Michelle Pfeiffer would ever get plastic surgery (why??).

Granted, it's not the wildest or craziest thing ever, but for the middle of the workday? Not bad. And I got an Ant Bully dry erase board as my toy! OK, how fun is THAT?

So much better than sitting around the office. SO much.

Couple more random things before I drop dead of exhaustion:

* I spent 90 minutes on the elliptical tonight. NINETY! That's 6.9 miles for those keeping score at home. I feel like a total badass ... you know, minus the fact that I can't peel myself off the couch or walk without tripping over my Jello feet. I got my big, fat September issue of Glamour, and I told myself I'd stay on there until I'd read the whole thing. I sort of figured it would take about that long, and sure enough, 88 minutes later I looked at my last "Don't."

So of course I've been eating chips and salsa (and FINE! a little chocolate, too) ever since I got home. I'm all about maximizing results.

* If Vincent on Project Runway said ONE MORE TIME that his design "turned him on" or "got him off" I was going to throw up all over the TV. I like him, though. I sort of have a soft spot for loose cannons.

* I got up at freaking 6:30 to take my friend to the airport before work. After going to bed at 2! So yes, my weekend of catching up has officially been shot to hell, and yes, I must go to bed. Now! So ... night.

8 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

How disgusting was that? each time Vincent said it, I wanted to puke, my stomach went into major knots AND the dress was hideous! I'm sad Allison is gone, BOO!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Golightly said...

oh and I wanted to add I love that lunch at the park idea!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I love In Style and Glamour, especially when they are big and fat!! Of course, I can't BUY anything in InStyle, but I love it none the less! sounds like a great day by the lake...I'm jealous.

Allison is gone?! I missed it last night!!!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger TTQ said...

Oh those poor souls afraid of "The Man".. I must go pray for them now! You my fellow blogger, have a bit of rebellion streaking right through your heart! Gotta love it!

Okay so I was in the mall yesterday (where I do my walking because I'm too pale and frail to endure the heat)and I decided to try on an outfit from Gap's new ad in my ELLE mag. You know the denim skirt with black leggings one... I actually preffered the leggings alone (which I think nobody but Calista Flockhart should wear..)than the ensemble! Maybe the skirt just wasn't the right one, I didn't want to try anymore not even those damn skinny jeans, which if I remember correctly, I looked okay in the first time they came around..but i could just be delusional...

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger mama kay said...

Yep, sounds like you had the right idea about lunch! you must work w/a bunch of lame-O's!!!!

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Christa said...

Wow... an eliptical- your supposed to use it? Mine houses spiders in the garage. I thought I was being nice by providing them with a cool place to spin their webs.

And there's no way I'll ever be caught dead in the leggings under skirts or shorts getup that was also fashionable when I was int THE SEVENTH GRADE. What's next, Aqua Netting our bangs to the moon again???

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

I want that toy!!!!!!!!!!! Miss you.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

I couldn't believe Allison was kicked off! Her dress WAS horrible, but I thought they'd keep her around because she had more potential.

OK, the leggings thing? RIDICULOUS! I was at a concert last month and these three teenage girls were decked out like Madonna circa 1985. The '80s were a gold mine, pop culture-wise, but NOT fashion-wise. I know they say trends recycle every 20 years, but we should skip the '80s revival. My bangs can't handle to be teased again.

And THANK YOU for backing me up on the lunch thing. You have to be spontaneous SOMETIMES! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home