Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Maybe this drink will be better than the last

A couple months ago, my very nice and endlessly patient friend Allee was driving around with me when we saw a sign for a Counting Crows/Goo Goo Dolls concert. Ten minutes later, we were at the box office buying tickets for ourselves and three of our friends, because that's just the kind of crazy, spontaneous people we are.

So the other day was the concert. One of our friends got sick, so there were four of us: me, Allee, Aggie and Elaine.

Me: I wonder if the Goo Goo Dolls are going to play "Naked."
Elaine: Do they usually?
Me: I don't know. I've never seen them in concert before. I want them to, though.
Elaine: Really?
Me: Yeah. Don't you?
Elaine shrugs.

Fifteen minutes later.

Me: They're not going to do it, are they?
Elaine: What? Play "Naked"?
Me: Yeah. Oh, well. Everything else was good. I was just kind of hoping they would.

Five minutes later, set's done.

Elaine: Why did you want them to play "Naked"?
Me: I like it! It was one of their first big songs, so I figured they might.
Elaine (who, I should mention, knows more about music than absolutely anyone): Wait ... I thought you meant literally PLAY NAKED.
Me: Like, with tube socks? Like the Red Hot Chili Peppers?
Elaine: Yes! And I was like, "Is she crazy? Johnny Reznick's not even that hot."
Me (dying laughing): NO! The song! You know (start singing), "You're naked inside your fear ..."
Elaine: Ohhhhhhhh.

Five-second pause. Allee: "The Red Hot Chili Peppers really play naked?" That coincided with a sighting of a girl who wasn't wearing underwear, so you can imagine the conversation that followed. (For example, did you know that guys in the rodeo don't wear underwear? Can someone please explain that to me? Because, HELLO! What better place to try to protect what you've got? I don't get it.)

The Counting Crows played the final set, which gave our friend Adam Duritz plenty of time to get absolutely loaded before he stepped on stage. He walked out carrying a beer bottle and a very tall glass of something or other, which he sipped from liberally after every song. He was SMASHED and it was HILARIOUS. Some snippets:

"I'm only playing pretty songs tonight. Is it OK if we only do pretty songs? Because I know what you're thinking, you're thinking this is kind of a weird set list, but I really only want to sing pretty songs. So I hope that's OK."

(I'm thinking, "NICE! Pretty songs! Maybe he'll do Sullivan Street." Noooo.)

"So I think this is a really pretty song. It's a song about how we can hurt the ones we love. Because I did that. I f---d up this girl really bad. And it made me feel really horrible, and that's what this song is about--doing damage to the most fragile people on the planet ... the people who choose to love us."

Every time he would start rambling, or toss his Sideshow Bob hair through the air, I'd turn to my friends. "That, THAT, is a guy who slept with both Jennifer Aniston and Courteney Cox." I mean ... seriously.

A couple songs later, he launches into, oh, his 63rd discourse of the night on how important it is to vote, and to support battered women, and to use a condom so we don't get HIV, and above all, to MAKE a CONNECTION with other human beings. "I have a hard time making connections with people," he said. "That's why I write songs. That's my way of making a connection. So now, here is my connection to you."

A girl from work went to the concert, too, and she was like, "I kept thinking, 'Awww, Adam totally needs a hug.' " Adam did need a hug, bless his heart. I would have hugged him, even with that horrible hair. But he was sooo funny, and such a fantastic diversion from the two 18-year-old couples dry humping in front of us, that it was all good.

Really, it was a fun time. It was a gorgeous, gorgeous night. Adam's new BFFs Augustana opened, and they did an awesome job of singing "Boston" live. The Goo Goo Dolls were much better live than I thought they'd be--"Black Balloon" and "Iris" were the best--and the Counting Crows were fantastic. They sang almost all old songs (except, strangely, not "Mr. Jones"--it must not have been pretty enough), which made me happy.

My only regret? We passed on the free condoms they were handing out inside the entrance. I know--what was I thinking?

5 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Allison Winn Scotch said...

I was listening to "A Murder of One" today on my iPod and thinking, "it's too sad how much the CCs imploded because they used to be so good." Courtney Cox and Jen Aniston. Seriously? How did that happen?

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Man! I would have LOVED to see that concert! Oh, by the way, HI Allison above! I love this small-world-blog-cyber stuff!

I think Adam is totally hot. He is one of those guys who I would just love to be made love to while he's singing. My alltime favorite song/line is from his song... why can't I think about it now... not Round here... shit, it's in my head, Caryn knows it...

I am feathered by the ... shit, now I am going to put on itunes just cuz I wanna hear that song so badly. I even blogged about it once. Geeze, the way I am carrying on, you'd thik I was loaded or something ... I am feathered by the moon, falling down on me. I walk along these hillsides and I'm feathered by the moon, I ... OMG, I just tried to find the period like six times on this keyboard and my fingers aren't working... time for bed...

or an applemartini...

SWISH I MISH YA! When ya coming 'round here again? LOL at my own stupid joke!

We need to IM!! xoxoxoxo

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

MM, it's the one Allison (hi, Allison!) said: A Murder of One! I love that song!

I'm torn on Adam. I would LOVE someone to write songs like that for/about me. But making looooove to him? I might need one of your appletinis first. Or a razor for his hair.

We SO need to IM! I have stories!

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you be making love to him or to Mr. Jones?

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

HA HA HA HA. Mr. Jones, apparently! I wonder if you can stop calling him "Mr." after you get to know him a little better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home