Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, July 24, 2006

I'm too sexy for this post

So I wrote this long-ass post this morning that was quite entertaining and thought-provoking if I do say so myself, and then, just as I literally was pushing the "publish" button--BOOM. Computer switches off. Apparently I was SO immersed in said post that I'd run out of battery juice and, instead of hibernating like it's SUPPOSED to, the damn thing shut off and then rebooted.

OK, so maybe it wasn't THAT entertaining and thought-provoking. But it was a little! And now it's gone!

Argghhhhhh.

Oh, well. I'll recreate it. Someday. Just not now.

Anyway, on to new things. I've mentioned before that I'm a magazine whore--I read them all. And I save way more of them than I should admit. I tossed a bunch when I moved, but when I started getting to the point in the move where things needed to just get OUT instead of being examined and neatly recycled, I dumped a bunch of the mags into boxes and decided to deal with them later.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that I'm finding some pretty funny stuff as I reach the end of the unpacking. Like a People magazine from February 2003. Bennifer Part I was in full swing, a childless Britney Spears had just had a little fling with Colin Farrell, and Mandy Moore was still dating Andy Roddick. Like my own little time capsule!

I also flipped through an October 2005 issue of In Style and found a photo feature of celebrities sharing their definitions of beauty. Of course, you had your "Oh, beauty comes from the inside and not from the $90 eye cream currently slathered on my face" platitudes, and some inane "it inspires a childlike amazement in people" quote from Scarlett Johanssen, but there were a couple of genuinely good ones. My favorite was Renee Zellweger's, which said, in part: "The most memorable, beautiful women I have encountered embrace themselves and seek out and celebrate what is beautiful in others."

I can get on board with that. So what's your definition of beauty? When do you feel the most beautiful?

Me? When I'm listening to music and dancing (badly!) around my bedroom in my towel in the morning (I swear, it's the only thing that wakes me up). When I'm around people I love. And occasionally after I work out. There's an excellent chance, upwards of 90 percent, that I look like hell after a workout. But sometimes I slide in the car and look up into the rearview mirror and my eyes are bright and my cheeks are flushed and I think, "Damn, Swishy, you look cute!"

And no matter what, no matter how crappy you might look or feel otherwise, everyone looks great when they smile. So come on, smile. Therrrrre. Now, don't you look cute!

7 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Sara Hantz said...

I love that you dance round in the morning. I thought it was only me!

Unlike you, I'm usually dressed at the time - but every morning I put on a fab show for the dog. And she sits there totally riveted..... not moving a muscle.

I'm not sure if that's because she knows the end of the routine brings her breakfast or she's totally in awe of my talent - I suspect the latter.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Trish said...

Magazine whore...lol! I myself like People, and can never resist flipping through a US weekly at the grocery checkout. But when it comes to meat and potatoes magazine? It's gotta be "O" the Oprah magazine.

I feel beautiful first thing in the morning when my face is a little puffy...sort of like cheap Botox

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Bugwit Homilies said...

I feel for ya - losing your big long post. Hm... that sounds kinds dirty!

I have been working on a novel for a while, and I e-mail my work back and forth from work to home in order to have back-ups.

For some reason, I decided one day to use a memory stick thingy instead and I lost an entire chapter.

To this day, I convinced that the chapter I lost was MUCH better than the one I wrote afterwords.

As for when I feel most beatiful, it's hard to say. Probably when in the restaurant bathroom cleaning spaghetti sauce off of my white dress shirt.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Damn Swishomatic, you're always cute!

Most beautiful--when I'm being chased around the kitchen island by Scott.

Nah, really when one of the kids tells me I'm pretty or that I look good. Because most of the time they're telling me I have a chuvvy butt.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Andie said...

I feel beautiful right after I get a facial and the aesthetician tells me I have healthy skin, despite the zits on my forehead.

I feel beautiful when my husband chases me around the house because he wants sex.

And I feel beautiful when I wear a "skinny" outfit. You know what kind of outfit I'm talking about! LOL

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

I might freak your dog out, Sara ... I'm a dancing queen, but more often than not, it resembles a seizure :) But I still do it!!

MM, I need you to come live with me and tell me nice things every morning :)

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger mama kay said...

Swish .. I am sure you are lovely all the time, but there is something to be said about smiling more .. it is just so attractive.
oh and I have lost soo many witty posts .. it makes me crazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home