Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

The breakdown of civilization

The past couple of days have been weird. We had a huge power outage where I live, which happened to coincide with a run of 100 zillion-degree days. I was very, very lucky--my cable went out for a while, but that's it--but few of my friends STILL don't have power, after almost four days. (Which makes me shut up REALLY quick when I bitch about the travesty of having to look at static on my TV, in my nice, 70-degree apartment, for 23 hours.)

Anyway, the whole thing has put approximately 2,347,986 people in the FOULEST mood EVER at the SAME TIME. Seriously, you want to see someone snap, get them all hot and sweaty and then take away their ability to take a decent shower and use a blow dryer. Best social experiment ever. I went to Target the other night (ITS power was out, too--they were using generators to run the registers) and I seriously thought people were going to start pulling out guns and firing at will if someone so much as breathed on them, let alone tried to fight them for the last 12-pack of bottled water.

Whenever I'm dating someone, one of my rules is that only one of us is allowed to be cranky at a time, so the other one can be the patient, rational, coddling presence who diffuses the other person's attempts at picking a fight. I've come to realize that is a VERY GOOD RULE. The past couple of days, EVERYONE has been cranky. I didn't start out that way, but I mean, you try being the happy little cruise ship director when everyone around you wants to slit someone's throat. It wears you down! By last night, I was like, "So where do you find bomb-building instructions again? Because I'm going to build a bomb. A big one. And then I'm going to blow something up. Just to make me feel better."

(Or eat copious amounts of chocolate-covered Oreos. Which I did instead. But bomb-building was next!)

Like I have anything to complain about. Well, I do a little, but so does everyone else. At least I have electricity and Project Runway reruns, right?

8 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Co-Worker A said...

You went shopping at night when there was no power? I thought that was one of those "after dark rules," like no going to a do-it-yourself carwash.

And if people are like this fighting for Fruit By The Foot and water, just imagine what it's going to be like when Bird Flu hits.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Trish said...

Anyone who eats chocolate covered oreos is ok in my books.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Eileen said...

Didn't the chocolate covered Oreos get all melty? It is hell here. Hot hot hot. bleah.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Caryn said...

Oh, that stinks, though you made it all sound so funny! They say that August has the highest murder and domestic abuse rates. Don't know if that's true, but it made sense to me when I heard that.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Yes, they were totally melty ... all that means is you have to eat them faster! :)

Caryn, I TOTALLY believe it! I swear heat makes people crazy.

BTW, apparently I am a complete flaunter of after-dark rules. I totally cleaned out my car last month at one of those do-it-yourself car washes ... at 11 o'clock at night! That's horrible, huh?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Andie said...

heat does make people go crazy. Trust me, I lived it for a week last year after hurricane katrina.

If you think that Target was crazy, you should see what EVERY store in the NOLA metro area is like if there is even a threat of a storm coming our way. No canned goods, bottled water, chips, dips, poptarts, etc. to be found ANYWHERE.

After the hurricane, we were without power for a week... (we were lucky, we were far enough away that we didn't get flooded) and we didn't get cable and/or internet for two weeks after that.

Our cell phones never worked. (well, mine did, but only to call people out of state) and it was just miserable. And it was around 98 degrees every day, with 100% humidity! We had to stand in line at the grocery stores every day to get the bare essentials like milk, water, etc. It was insane how people acted. I totally hear ya!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

Andie, that sounds HORRIBLE! It sucked around here for a few days, but nothing like that!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Andie said...

Yes, it sucked. but it could have been alot worse. My house could have been flooded and everything could have been ruined. So I really can't complain too much! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home