Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Monday, July 31, 2006

The battle lines have been drawn

So, we recently got new TVs at work. Two flat-screens, one of which is, like, RIGHT NEXT to my desk.

Now, no one worships at the altar of the cathode ray tube like I do, but I HATE having the TV next to my desk. I'm never the one who turns it on, and if someone turns it up I promptly hit mute as soon as they walk away. Because what happens is, these random people walk over, sort of lean on my desk, look up at the TV and start talking to me to justify their presence. I am a friendly girl. I really am. Once, twice, three times, I can handle. But when we're hitting the double-digit mark, I want to pull that flat-screen off the wall and bash someone over the head with it.

Anyway, I work normal hours most of the week, but I do have to work Sunday nights. Tonight suckity sucked. I was doing something very monotonous, and I kept giving the guy next to me updates: "Dude, it's only 7 o'clock." "Oh, my gosh, I'm going to die, I can't believe it's only 8:12." After about the 869th update, I'm like, "I'm totally going to put on Grey's Anatomy when it comes on." I'm kidding, but he's like, "You should!" (There was an Angels-Red Sox game on at the time ... did I mention the TV's ALWAYS on ESPN?) I was like, "People will freak out if I turn it. Seriously." But the other TV had the game on, plus he and I, really, are the only ones next to the TV who can see it THAT well, so he's like, "Do it, do it, do it." (To shut me up for an hour, I'm sure.)

So I did. And not 0.3 seconds later, this guy (OK, we'll call him "Guy") darts over.

"What are you watching?"
Me: "What does it look like?"
"I don't know."
Me: "Guess."
"Medical ... medical ..."
Me: "It's Grey's Anatomy, Guy. And you're NOT turning it!"
(I should interject here to say the volume was down on the TV and I WAS busy working. It was more the principle of having something on the screen other than the baseball players who had been on it for the previous six hours.)
"I was watching the game, you know."
Me: "Guy, you can't even SEE the TV from where you sit! You have to WALK over here to see it."
"I can kinda see it."
Me: "No, you can't."
"Yes, I can."
Me: "You cannot. Besides, I have ownership of the TV, since I'm closest."
(Indignant) "You do not!"
Me: "Do too. Besides, it's only for the next 43 minutes, and then you can put on whatever you want."

(I'm so bratty, right?)

So Guy walks away, muttering.

I turn back to my monotonous work like the good little worker bee that I am when I sense ... something. I snap my head up and Guy has freaking CHANGED the CHANNEL! He went to the other TV (which, by the way, is, like, 10 feet away anyway), took the remote, snuck around the corner and CHANGED the CHANNEL.

Me: "GUY!"
Guy throws the remote on the bookshelf and runs away.
Me, calling after him: "I'm turning it back, you know!"

It was SO on. For the next half-hour, he kept sneaking around the corner trying to hijack the remote, and I kept snapping my head up in time to catch him. I'd be like, "If you NEED stuff to do, I'd be more than happy to share!!" and then he'd dart away.

It was so worth it, though. Because I got to look up and periodically see stuff like this:

2 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Andie said...

I totally understand. We have a tv in the common area of the office here, and 90% of the time, it's on ESPN, or some channel with a golf tournament or baseball game or something. (because I'm the only girl in the office)

So I'll put the tv on food network and leave it there for a few hours, and I'll constantly clear my throat when they go to change the channel.

it's a riot.
YOU are the QUEEN OF THE REMOTE!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

I work with a bunch of boys, too. It's like, fine, watch SportsCenter once, but four times?

Don't even get me started on the thermostat wars, though. That's a whole nother thing :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home