Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Friday, June 23, 2006

I think I've got your number

So, I'm at lunch with a couple of guys from work. This one guy, I'll call him Co-worker A, ends up driving a lot because he has the cleanest car. He also has great music. He's very nice, and sometimes he lets me pick out which songs we listen to.

So we're coming back from lunch and I've got the iPod in hand, scrolling through his '80s mix. I don't have anything in particular in mind, but then I see it: "Gloria," by the late, great Laura Branigan. I LOVE "Gloria." I just do, OK? So I put it on.

Co-worker A: Turn it!
Co-worker B (from the backseat): Turn it!
Me: Noooooo!
Co-worker A: Seriously! Turn it! NOW!
Me: Seriously! Let me just hear the chorus first, and then I will.
Co-worker A flips it to the radio.
Me (flipping it back): What are you DOING? Let me just hear the chorus.
Co-worker A: I'm seriously going to throw the adapter out the window.
Me: Ha ha. Just hang on a sec, will you?
Co-worker A, in a flash, grabs the adapter out of the tape deck and THROWS IT OUT THE WINDOW.
Co-worker B laughs.
Co-worker A: Finally.
Me: Are you freaking INSANE? Did you SERIOUSLY just THROW that out the WINDOW?
Co-worker A: I told you I was going to.
Me: You're crazy. You're totally crazy.
Co-worker A: Are you going to buy me a new adapter?
Me: Hey, I didn't MAKE you do ANYTHING.
Co-worker A: Yes, you did.
Co-worker B: Yes, you did.
Me (shaking head, incredulous): You're seriously crazy. I'm going to tell everyone you did that, and they're going be like, "Oh my gosh, that's CRAZY!"
Co-worker A: No, they won't. They'll be like, "What song was it?" and you'll say, "Gloria," and then they'll totally understand.
Me: Gloria hates you, you know.
Co-worker A: Well, Gloria had 24 years. It's someone else's turn.

9 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Co-Worker A said...

Laura Branigan is dead? I wouldn't have been so twitchy if such classics as "How Soon is Now" and "Six Underground" were skipped in favor of "Gloria."

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Yes, she is. HAVE YOU NO RESPECT?!

OK, seriously, I know you won't believe me, but I swear I wasn't even looking for "Gloria" ... I was just scrolling through, waiting for something to grab me. Something light and peppy and fun. And it grabbed! What can I say?

I have no other defense for skipping past the other ones. :)

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous alissa said...

that is soooo funny! i like that song too!

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Okay, here's the thing--IF HE HATES THE SONG SO MUCH WHY THE FUCK IS IT ON HIS FREAKING IPOD?

DUH.

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Co-Worker A said...

Because it was from a blanket import from a Billboard Top Hits CD. It's on the iPod no more.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Swishy said...

I am laughing SO HARD right now!

He really did take it off his iTunes as soon as he got back to the office.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Swishy said...

Although I think, secretly, he likes it more than he lets on :)

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

I bet coworker A dances NEKKID in his place to Gloria! I got HIS number all right!

So, what I wanna know is what other songs were on that Billboard Hits CD? I'm guessing a little Rick Super Freak, maybe some "Think I better knock, knock, knock on wood!" Maybe some "It's Raining Men!?"

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Co-Worker A said...

Here's the list. http://tinyurl.com/fv37h I can stand such songs as "Bette Davis Eyes," "Africa" and "Funkytown," but "Gloria" just doesn't make the cut.

And I don't dance "nekkid" to "Gloria." I prefer my nekkid dancing to classics like "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner and "My Life" by Billy Joel.

And listening to "Knock on Wood" isn't as dangerous as knocking on the wood of your son's football coach ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home