Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

The life and times of a girl named Swishy.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Oh, won't you take me to ... cheesy towwwwn

Many moons ago, I used to come home from work in time to make dinner while I watched Entertainment Tonight. I could see the TV from the kitchen, and I'd make delicacies like spaghetti and scrambled eggs while I caught up on the latest Bennifer and Britney news.

I haven't done that in a long, long time--two years, probably--but I was home by 6:30 tonight and decided to flip it on. We got the Cannes Film Festival report (apparently The Da Vinci Code movie sucks), the latest on Paul McCartney's divorce and then ... they threw it to their special in-studio guest hosts for Will & Grace finale news. Those special in-studio guest hosts? A RED AND A YELLOW CARTOON M&M. The red M&M introduced a clip from the show with absolutely no trace of irony or satire--it was delivered completely seriously, deadly so, like he was freaking Anderson Cooper reporting from Iraq.

I don't think it's putting it lightly to say I was utterly appalled. They went from walking the tightrope over the vat of melty, gooey cheese to diving right in and doing the backstroke. I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from a show called Entertainment Tonight, but I mean, come on!

The whole reason I turned on Entertainment Tonight in the first place was because I've taken a little detour to funkytown this week, as in "I'm in a funk" town. That's always fun, as I obsess about things over which I have no control, ignore the things I have control over and REALLY NEED TO DO, and stay up way too late because I can't sleep and then spend the next day in a foggy stupor which does absolutely nothing to improve my funkified mood. It's a fantastic cycle.

So I go looking for a little fun and trashy pick-me-up and what do I get? Cartoon M&Ms, that's what I get.

2 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give you a little pick me up :)

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Schmitt said...

"I'll give you a little pick me up," he says.

So big.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home